Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pilot seat lancaster bomber

Options
  • 14-12-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We have an old pilot seat from a Lancaster bomber. The story goes it was salvaged from the factory in Belfast. We have no documentation. The leather is old and dry but otherwise in fairly good condition. I'm trying to persuade my husband to part with it. Anyone any idea ball park what it might be worth? I'm sure it could find a better home than under the pile of junk where it currently resides. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

lilbitz440 wrote: »
    We have an old pilot seat from a Lancaster bomber. The story goes it was salvaged from the factory in Belfast. We have no documentation. The leather is old and dry but otherwise in fairly good condition. I'm trying to persuade my husband to part with it. Anyone any idea ball park what it might be worth? I'm sure it could find a better home than under the pile of junk where it currently resides. Thanks

The value may depend on the condition, do you have any pictures ? Are there any serial numbers on it or was it taken from the production line before that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Your best bet may be someone doing a restoration project. Otherwise there is a well known Luftwaffe collector in Ireland who may have an interest in it. Would love to see the pictures though if you post some up I can ask on other militaria forums to see what I can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lilbitz440

Thanks,
    It has serial numbers on the armrest bracket and the seat bottom. These are 1297152 and 1297161 respectively. There are no armrests or seat cushion and there is a tear in the leather in the back of the seat. I'll try and post photos soon.

4s1cn3http://twitpic.com/4s1cn3

http://www.twitpic.com/4s1jy8

Here are some photos of it. if anyone can identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Done some detective work on it as I thought that this is a strange looking seat for Lancaster.
    If I'd have red properly your story I'd have noticed that Belfast connection. It's not from Lancaster, but from Short Stirling bomber.
    I don't know how much you think it's worth and I haven't found a value anywhere on the web, but I can imagine it's not as rare or valuable as one might think, my estimate would be around 150max, but if you take your time there's a lot of societies and private collectors who might be interested in it and might be villing to put an offer. Even here in Ireland, because it is part of aviation history of this island.
    And if you really want to get rid of it, there's always an option to get in contact with IAC museum currator in Baldonnel or National Military Museum, Collins Barracks and donate it to one of those institutions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaz_and_martin/4394480211/in/set-72157623526476230

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Reading through it again... it's, actually, flight engineer seat and it could have a bigger value, if you would know from which aircraft this seat came from and that aircraft have seen some action.
    But there is a very strong possibility that this particular seat have never been even fitted into aircraft and was taken after the war from the warehouse, when many similar parts and aircraft were no longer needed - just speculating here ;)

Thanks for all your replies. It turns out it is a flight engineer's seat from a Stirling bomber. We have had some interest from a project in the UK that are reconstructing the front section of one. Haven't yet decided if we are willing to part with it for karma alone.

Advertisement