Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bridge (C&C)

• 14-12-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Ireland's newest BIG bridge. A great addition to Waterford !

Yah, I now have my version, while travelling southeastwards recently, on a VERY cold night, -5', I stopped and looked (& slipped) for a good vantage point, I found one ontop of a (very icy) timber raft or something, then my cheepo tripod wouldn't tighten, which made the task harder, but I still managed to get a 40sec exposure.

Color :

328571EA6677414785BA0241104CE8CA-800.jpg

or B&W (over-sharpened!) :

196C965129884229AFA5B18E51DFB18B-800.jpg

A closer look (upside down) :

CEAD83F98ECF4DD9839514F58FA196ED-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I really like them, both in colour and b&w it comes out really well.

With that being said, I can't help being distracted by the patch of mud with the poles on the bottom left hand corner and think it takes away from the subject (the bridge) as it adds nothing to the photo.

The colours in the coloured one are really cool though, it's just a shame about the mud patch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Ireland's newest BIG bridge. A great addition to Waterford !

Cool shots and cool bridge. Must head down to see that (w/ tripod) when I get the chance.
    I like B/W best
    But....... they are not quite level. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

the patch of mud with the poles on the bottom left hand corner
    Yeah, I thought it would add a little bit of foreground interest !!! it was being lit by a light high up on a pole, I must remember to 'put it out' next time :p
    they are not quite level. tongue.gif
    Ah, my dilema, should the bridge be level or the reflection, ie. I went for the reflection, and therefore the bridge is sloping left to right !! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Yeah, I thought it would add a little bit of foreground interest !!! it was being lit by a light high up on a pole, I must remember to 'put it out' next time :p

Ah, my dilema, should the bridge be level or the reflection, ie. I went for the reflection, and therefore the bridge is sloping left to right !! :o

I think the mud is less of a distraction in the B/W but yeh with reflections I prefer no distracting foreground. Saying that... I really like them :).

I would put the bridge level. I expect the bridge to be level ( it might not be :pac:) but the reflection is less important imo. Each to their own though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Crispin wrote: »
    I think the mud is less of a distraction in the B/W but yeh with reflections I prefer no distracting foreground. Saying that... I really like them :).

I would put the bridge level. I expect the bridge to be level ( it might not be :pac:) but the reflection is less important imo. Each to their own though ;)
    I'd agree with that. When I look at them, I noticed that the bridge sloping slightly. However, I didn't notice that the reflection was level and I'd be surprised if people intuitively put the level of the reflection as a higher priority than that of the bridge.

At least it was intentional though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

color wins for me.
    the B&W is too much like a painting/drawing.
    Maybe PP out the left hand bottom corner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The colour one for me (with it leveled out ;))

mmmm........interesting, I went and levelled the bridge, but now all the reflections are off, and the centre column is off, oh dilema dilema, WTD, maybe split the diff & go 50/50 with the levelling ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

If only I had thought of standing on the wooden jetty you were standing on.

Saying that I prefer the first one.

Must get processing my ones from Friday night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

trishw78 wrote: »

Too late now, it's been done.
    Anything else is sooooo last week! :)

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trishw78 viewpost.gif

Too late now, it's been done.
    Anything else is sooooo last week! smile.gif

Yeah, you may aswell delete them........:p

Another attraction down near that area is the old Castle ruins, but I'd imagine you'd have to climb to the top of the nearby pub to get both the castle & the bridge into a shot !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Hopr

Hi Morrisseeee,

Really like these shots. What settings did you use? Took a few shots recently myself. Would you mind if i posted one up in this thread?

Hopr.

What settings did you use?
    An old 28mm prime lens, F16, no filters(=no glare), ISO 100, 40 secs.
    Took a few shots recently myself. Would you mind if i posted one up in this thread?
    You can if you like, but a better option would be to use the Random Photo Thread (you can't miss it, its on the main forum), this is a thread where people post up their recent photos/pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Hopr

Thanks for that.

I'll post it up on the random thread. Thanks again.

Hopr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Great shots. I've been meaning to get down for one since it opened. Too bloody lazy!:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

I like these, especially the close up (upside down). The original seems like there is a slight tilt going on. However the light at the top of the tower is great and i like how it fades to black.
    It may be crazy, but i was thinking about a crop just before the water reflects the lights from the bridge I know you would be losing half of the photo but i think that it would be strong enough to work, as the left bottom conner kind of takes the highlight away from the picture.

But overall great shot.

Advertisement