Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my webmaster ripping me off?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I had a ecommerce site designed (well actually modified from a template) for €2599+vat earlier this year. I have complete control over the shop but have no administrative access to the rest of the site whatsoever. Now when I want to add in some more details, specifically a photo, google map and modified about us and contact details (we've moved) my web designer is looking for an additional €349+vat, minimum. I've also now been informed that the site domain also needs to be re-registered and a new ssl security cert installed at a cost of €390+vat. Is this pretty standard? I have no experience of web design before this and don't personally know anyone who is involved. Should I have to fork out hundreds of euro every time I want the site modified in any way? Am I being taken for a ride? The site is www.eastcoastcanoeandkayak.ie. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

According to www.whoislookup.ie, the domain is registered until 15 December 2010, so they may have already renewed it for you automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eastcoastkayak

It was renewed from the 13th of this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Am I being taken for a ride?

Sounds like it to me.
    Ask them for the relevant access so you can add the details yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Did you have an initial scope of work agreed with your designer? €2,599 is very little to pay for an eCommerce site so no, I wouldn't say you are being ripped off. Then again, the site is poor (and it's a template) so you probably paid for it what it's actually worth. Are you making any sales from it?

And yes, it's normal to pay to renew your SSL cert and to have to pay for hosting on a monthly/yearly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

€2599 to install Zencart and hack up a theme? Seriously? I would have done it for you for free! Infact, any webhost with cpanel would have allowed you to install it yourself with the click of a button.

And yes, the SSL cert is important but your cert is from USERTRUST Network. I checked out their website, and they appear to be giving out certs for free. You might want to double check it by e-mailing Usertrust (htpp://www.usertrust.com/users_business.html)

You are being severely ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I don't know how anyone can justify charging €2,599+VAT for that.

Cost of the cart? €0. Zen Cart is free.
    Cost of the template? Pfft - http://www.zen-cart-power.com/zen-cart-templates.html do very good templates. $60. That's as much as i'd value your template at tbh. Although the template its based off was probably free anyway.

Logo? I don't know if this was included in the price or not, but it's nice. €60?

Content? I'm going to assume they put all the products and images up for you as this would be the most expensive part since its very labour intensive. Even so, they've put 0 effort in to it. Take for example the helmet found here: http://www.eastcoastcanoeandkayak.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=56 in the description it states it comes in 3 lovely colours and 4 different sizes. Brilliant. But how do I order a specifc size? It's the same for your clothing items aswell. Whoever set this up for you should have specified the attributes on your products so customers can order different sizes/colours without you having to go back to the customer to ask what they want. There's also the problem of the image there. It states to click on the image to get a large picture, but the image is just the same size in a pop-up!

They've also not added any of the 'standard' zen-cart mods, ie. seo urls, and I would guess theres no Google xml sitemap mod installed either.
    Nor does Goggle Analytics appear to be setup on your site.

Complete ripoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dlofnep wrote: »
    €2599 to install Zencart and hack up a theme? Seriously? I would have done it for you for free! Infact, any webhost with cpanel would have allowed you to install it yourself with the click of a button.
    :
    :
    :
    You are being severely ripped off.

I sincerely doubt that you'd have done it for free! :rolleyes:

Yes, €2,599 is a fair bit OTT, but discussing requirements, chopping up graphics, creating the "hacked" theme and installing it all take time.

Even knowing that it's appropriate to "click the button" to install Zencart requires a level of knowledge that the OP wouldn't have.

So you're looking at maybe €400 - €500 minimum. Whether there was extra involved in the €2,599 (domain name discussions, payment for registration & SSL, etc) we don't know.

Whatever about doing it for €500 or so, saying "I'd have done it for free" is ridiculous! Do you not value even day of your time and expertise ? And did you win the Lotto to pay your rent/mortgage ?

Whatever about querying a "fair price" for something, saying "I'd do that for free" is what has the proper web design industry in the doldrums at the moment, with zero respect or thought as to the expertise and time required.

Yup exactly. Zencart is free. The cert appears to be a free cert, but yet they want to charge him to renew it 390?

I would advise to ask him what exactly the costs incurred are for, and to ask for a refund if you are not happy. All in all, I think you've been not only severely ripped off - but stolen of your hard earned cash. I can't see any web development. But I do smell a scam.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that you'd have done it for free! :rolleyes:

Yes, €2,599 is a fair bit OTT, but discussing requirements, chopping up graphics, creating the "hacked" theme and installing it all take time.

Even knowing that it's appropriate to "click the button" to install Zencart requires a level of knowledge that the OP wouldn't have.

So you're looking at maybe €400 - €500 minimum. Whether there was extra involved in the €2,599 (domain name discussions, payment for registration & SSL, etc) we don't know.

Whatever about doing it for €500 or so, saying "I'd have done it for free" is ridiculous! Do you not value even day of your time and expertise ? And did you win the Lotto to pay your rent/mortgage ?

Whatever about querying a "fair price" for something, saying "I'd do that for free" is what has the proper web design industry in the doldrums at the moment, with zero respect or thought as to the expertise and time required.

Firstly, less of the rolling eyes. You don't know the first thing about me or what I would or wouldn't do. I've done alot of work for free for people before for the experience (mostly poster work or web graphics).

One of the posters I designed for free, including the logo: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/omoplata1/poster_final-1.png?t=1260883812

Free t-shirt design: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/omoplata1/black_shirt.png?t=1260883920

Another for a UFC after-party: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/omoplata1/bader2copy.png?t=1260883865

I certainly wouldn't have charged nearly 2600 to install Zencart, and I wouldn't have told the user that the cert costs 390 to renew, when it appears that he's using a free cert service.

It's people like this who are ruining the web business, and not me who does a few odd jobs here and there for free for the experience. I'd certainly never rip anyone off for my work - and would feel guilty to charge for something that wasn't really professional work (which this site in question obviously isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

The biggest problem that I have with this is the fact that they havent even bothered to set Zen Cart up properly for the customer!

You add a product to the cart and go to the shopping cart page, you get this: You may want to add some instructions for using the shopping cart here. (defined in includes/languages/english/shopping_cart.php) at the top.

The 'weight' is showing 0lb. If weights aren't entered on products then they should turned off so they don't show.

The 'more information' box on the right has a link called 'PAGE 3', which should be called 'about us'.

If whoever 'designed' this actually put in some effort to customise the cart and set it up correctly, then i'd just call it expensive. However they haven't, and for that reason it's a complete and utter rip off.

• Advertisement

Yup, it just looks like a default install with a quickly hacked template. Certainly not worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I had a ecommerce site designed (well actually modified from a template) for €2599+vat earlier this year. I have complete control over the shop but have no administrative access to the rest of the site whatsoever. Now when I want to add in some more details, specifically a photo, google map and modified about us and contact details (we've moved) my web designer is looking for an additional €349+vat, minimum. I've also now been informed that the site domain also needs to be re-registered and a new ssl security cert installed at a cost of €390+vat. Is this pretty standard? I have no experience of web design before this and don't personally know anyone who is involved. Should I have to fork out hundreds of euro every time I want the site modified in any way? Am I being taken for a ride? The site is www.eastcoastcanoeandkayak.ie. Thanks

how many products do you have on your website?... looks like alot to me,

I do think that not letting you ammend any other part of the website yourself and charging you €349+vat to do it is a rip off

I've done alot of work for free for people before for the experience (mostly poster work or web graphics)

As have I - stuff for charities, etc. But the fact remains that people doing lots of stuff for free in order to gain experience will end up not having an industry in which to use that experience, as the next generation of inexperienced people will do those jobs for free.
    I certainly wouldn't have charged nearly 2600 to install Zencart, and I wouldn't have told the user that the cert costs 390 to renew, when it appears that he's using a free cert service.

It's people like this who are ruining the web business, and not me who does a few odd jobs here and there for free for the experience. I'd certainly never rip anyone off for my work - and would feel guilty to charge for something that wasn't really professional work (which this site in question obviously isn't).

Look, I agree with most of what you said; I didn't look at the site, and based my opinion solely on what should be charged based on the amount of work involved.

Include the flaws that were highlighted and it seems that even the work I would have done for the €500 wasn't done, so it DOES appear to be a rip off, especially when combined with a free SSL.

My ONLY objection was your statement where you said you'd have done it for free.....people who don't know any better will compare this to realistic prices and see a massive discrepancy.

By all means, mention a realistic price to assist the OP (as I did) but don't go claiming it "can" be done for free.

Brain surgery "can" be done for free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

No. You got a somewhat professional looking ecommerce website for €2600, s/he didn't rip you off.

Still don't believe it? Ring an agency and ask them for a price. You'd be looking at €8k or so.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.. if someone says they could do it for you for what seems like a very small amount you can be sure the price will be reflected in the quality.

In the same way your customers can't expect to spend €100 on a sea-worthy kayak, you can't seriously expect a professional looking site for anything less than a professional price, which is what you paid.

You should however expect full server access - FTP details etc. at no extra charge. And those recurring charges and maintenance fees while being on the high side are not completely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

OP have you got a contract detailing your agreement with them?

P.S. Who sourced / supplied product photos, prepped them for the web, populated the online product database and sorted out the product IDs, etc ?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    My ONLY objection was your statement where you said you'd have done it for free.....people who don't know any better will compare this to realistic prices and see a massive discrepancy.

To be fair Liam, free market economics will determine how much people pay for websites. And basic stuff is being automated out very nicely at decent prices by places like Squarespace.

The low end of the web design industry is simply being commoditized.

In answer to a couple of earlier posts, the developer installed the first 40 products. I did the rest myself.

Did you clarify the SSL cert issue?

Did you clarify the SSL cert issue?
    No, I'm waiting for his completed quote before I confront him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

are you happy with the site? have you had much sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Anyone else think he might have priced the site in an opportunistic way, based on the price of items for sale. What I mean is, there are a lot of high end items for sale. web master might have thought, a handful of sales off the site and the client will have his money back. Easier to get away with an inflated price than if the client was selling a lot of items for €5 or so.

just a thought.

No, I'm waiting for his completed quote before I confront him

No problem, hope it all works out for you.

clown bag wrote: »
    Anyone else think he might have priced the site in an opportunistic way, based on the price of items for sale. What I mean is, there are a lot of high end items for sale. web master might have thought, a handful of sales off the site and the client will have his money back. Easier to get away with an inflated price than if the client was selling a lot of items for €5 or so.

just a thought.

I thought that too, but it doesn't justify charging €2600 to install a premade script and adding a few items. Opportunistic is probably the most accurate word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

in fairness this is what most web developers are charging, even at the low end. Iv seen other threads here and elsewhere of people charging more.
    Makes me wonder who are the cowboys here, the low end joomla template you pay what u get guys, or the people like above.

All in all im pretty dissilusoined with this industry. It looks to me the the established lads have been fleecing people for years and now with the advent of new free technologies coupled with more tech savvy customers this industry could be in for a bit of a shock.
    im sure iv irked alot here with the above but this needs to be addressed.

what would the above posters charge for this site? 500, i doubt it, bearing in mind most brochure sites start at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Sorry to hammer another nail into the coffin but the site looks good and is doing the job from what i can see BUT the SEO is very bad.

SEO is mother of all successful sites.

2600euro to have a business online is not bad but the recurring payments and the update payments is where I think your getting ripped off. Those recurring prices are more around a custom CMS and not an open sources one.

SEO of pages and products is a must.

Hope this helps...

skelliser wrote: »
    are you happy with the site? have you had much sales?
    For the most part I am happy with how the site looks, or will be when the final updates are up. The site has not been live for that long, as the actual store is'nt open until January, so there have only been a couple of sales.

Given the pretty overwhelming opinion, has anyone any opinion on how to approach the webmaster. Judging from the zen cart tutorials, making the sort of modifications I'm looking for seems pretty simple-I just don't have the administrative access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Given the pretty overwhelming opinion, has anyone any opinion on how to approach the webmaster.

Just ask him if it's okay if you can take administrative control of the hosting a/c, domain, etc. If he's a cowboy, he may put up a fight. If I were him/her, I'd be glad to be rid of you. Then again, I'd never build such a rubbish website.

Sorry, not trying to be harsh. I just pray for this industry sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was the OP ripped off?
    I would have presumed that they received a few different quotes for their specification and went with the best offer. Does this mena that the spec was more than we realise or that all web designers/developers are rip off merchants?

Advertisement