Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a top class restaurant....

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

.....to take the Mrs to for chrimbo. Somewhere really special and a little upmarket from the usual. Places we've been plenty are off the list so becketts, Leixlip house, Miss Wong, Avenue, Stonehaven, can't think of anywhere else off hand, i'm not looking for a chinese or indian this time, some good old regular food! :p I've been recommended Lyons in Newcastle, can anyone tell me what that's like? I'd only go 15-20 mins drive away. So can anyone help?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As far as I know Lyons is gone.

Don't bother with Carton Hse ( over priced no atmosphere )

I have not been to either the K Club or Dunboyne Castle for dinner ( I have had tea at Dunboyne which was nice ).

Recently ate in Greenes next to Maynooth Castle , that was nice if a little cramped in space .
    The restaurant at Weston is interesting ( Lebonese / middle eastern food ), but not really top class.

Sorry not being much help here.

We had a group dinner in Greens over the Castletown Inn in Celbridge which was nice recently . I know the chef , the food there is usually pretty good.
    ( again not really ' top class ' ).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

The Hanged Man's in Milltown.

Fantastic spot.

http://www.hangedmans.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

JackieO wrote: »

Fantastic spot.

It is truly fantastic!

I always go for a stroll down the canal after my dinner and pint of Guinness :p

Annamars in Kildare town is noted for being nice, and I can vouch for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Lyons is still going..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Yeah Davidth88 I think some of your info needs updating ...Lyons (The Village at Lyons Estate) is still open or was up to a month or two ago ...I personally prefer the Sunday lunch in the 'bistro' for 20/25 quid (2/3 courses) rather than an early evening meal there ...the 'main ' restaurant there is pretty expensive probably knocking on the door of K Club prices ...Oh yeah the toilets are a religious experience in themselves-green marble and paper hand towels as thick as a facecloth!
    Carton was closed for a long time as far as I know ...have they reopened ?...they seemed to be severely downgraded in general quality for a year or so before 'closure' (had a bad experience there with a rude wine waiter) ,heck you could barely buy a bottle of wine over a grand let alone the five grand vintage red that they used have on the list at one stage !I think they changed hands and the previous legendary sommelier / 'head wine waiter' moved on .
    Barberstown Castle is always 'solid'...Zest in Clane nice for a bistro style evening meal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 zappazappa

Il Vesuvio Italian restaurant in Kilcock is very good... phone 01 6519755

also The Storehouse in Naas

zappa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

When did Carton Hse ( restaurant in hotel ) close ? The restaurant ( Linden Tree ) is still on the website

I was only there once , almost exactly a year ago and it was rubbish. The wine waiter tried to pass off a bottle ( second ) that was the wrong year.

I had heard the Lyons restaurant had closed about 6 months ago , I always wanted to go . Glad to hear it's open , Ill give it a try .

Here was a link , the Mill restaurant there was closed for a period

http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/the_village_at_lyons_demesne__restaurant_la_serre.5301.html

Maybe I mistook this as being the whole place

Good thinking with Barberstown Castle , always meaning to try afternoon tea there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madmother

Carton is still open. Linden tree restaurant is very quiet and overpriced for what you get. Was there Friday and practically empty, just a couple of christmas dinners. Try L'avenue in Maynooth. Not necessarily upmarket as quite bistro like, but really nice food, great wine and great value. I've been loads of times and can't fault it. The chicken wings are to die for....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I think if you check out the' Places to Eat in Maynooth thread' you'll see that L'Avenue isnt that highly rated by many posters ...I certainly wouldnt be that bothered returning after my first visit...I much prefer Greenes for in town dining ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 keep it tidy

Fantastic spot.

fantastic place to eat bit pricey but worth it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Fantastic spot.

I agree, the food was great, taking hubby there again for his birthday on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairy cake

Would recommend Greene's over Avenue any time - heard also that Carton has gone seriously downhill and is to be avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

storehouse in naas is lovely,
    mash in the osprey hotel is lovely too,

i like chateux en vie- its in naas, not expensive or posh but really nicely done food, nice atmosphere and its small and cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Havent been to this place in years. Mainly due to feeling it was a bit over priced for what one got etc.

I see they are doing a flexi-menu. Can anybody give a more recent review of the place, ie value for money? choice? (when last there I thought the sunday menu was quite limited?) Also what options do they give for kids?

Thanks

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

madunphy wrote: »
    Havent been to this place in years. Mainly due to feeling it was a bit over priced for what one got etc.

I see they are doing a flexi-menu. Can anybody give a more recent review of the place, ie value for money? choice? (when last there I thought the sunday menu was quite limited?) Also what options do they give for kids?

Thanks

Mike

I go there regularly with the OH\family and always enjoy it. The flexi menu is good value and runs through to the early sitting on Friday. I think it's €25 for two courses with a supplement for steak. The Sunday menu got a rejig lately too.

I've never been there with kids, so I'm not sure what the selection is like.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Stonehaven in Maynooth is lovely, went there for Valentines, food was gorgeous and not overly expensive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Hanged man pub in Milltown - best cusine around. Pricey but good.

Advertisement