Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged VAT after paying

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I got a quote for shipping some items from Germany to my Irish address a couple of weeks ago. They sent me all the documents to be signed including a cover letter which stated the cost 290 Euro.

I paid it a couple of days ago ahead of the collection and asked for a receipt to be issued today by email. Got the receipt and they added on 21.5% VAT on to the original amount.

Is this legal, I presumed the original amount quoted was the final amount as it didn't mention VAT ? and seeing as I'm not a company I would have thought it shouldn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The German company probably assumed that this was a business - business transaction.

B2B transactions with the EU can be shipped ex-VAT if the customer is VAT registered in their home country. If you are not VAT registered then you are liable to pay VAT on the product. One of the items on the form that you sent back was probably looking for a VAT number. If you did not supply one then they mus charge you VAT

Irish VAT is being charged as the German company must do a reasonable amount of business with Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KTRIC wrote: »
    I got a quote for shipping some items from Germany to my Irish address a couple of weeks ago. They sent me all the documents to be signed including a cover letter which stated the cost 290 Euro.

I paid it a couple of days ago ahead of the collection and asked for a receipt to be issued today by email. Got the receipt and they added on 21.5% VAT on to the original amount.

Is this legal, I presumed the original amount quoted was the final amount as it didn't mention VAT ? and seeing as I'm not a company I would have thought it shouldn't.

Companies that mainly deal with Business tend to quote ex-VAT, it is the norm, where as retailers quote inc-VAT.

Is this a company that mainly deals with trade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Should have clarified, this is an Irish company.

We used them before and they quoted including VAT as it wasn't specified on the invoice.

They do actually deal with the general public a lot. This is the actual company http://www.irishshipping.com/new/upack.htm

I just found it strange that the VAT was not specified originally nor was it ever mentioned when I spoke to them about the rate. Only when I asked for an invoice was it then added on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're not a business, or if you didn't supply a VAT registration number, then they should never have quoted anything ex VAT. It was wrong for them to do it, and you could cancel and get a refund if you wanted to. I doubt you'd get much further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Does the receipt indicate the amount has been paid in full, or are they looking for the VAT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement