Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another tragic loss of life

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

I refer of course to that unfortunate incident at Lisfannon where young Garda Gary McLoughlin was critically injured and sadly died some time later in hospital. An awful loss to the community and my sympathy is extended to his family, friends and colleagues.

May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Can't believe this has happened again to someone for outside the county who was here working for the Donegal people. Such a tragic waste of a young life.
    I'm literally seething with anger about this all day.

Rest In Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolutely shocking stuff alright.. and at such a young age too! :(

Rest In Peace Gary.. and my deepest condolences to his family and friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Rest in peace Gary. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

What a sad loss and an unspeakable tragedy! His family must be heartbroken and my heart goes out to them. That this should have happened again in Donegal is beyond awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Tragic
    R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

terrible news, r.i.p

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amen, amen, amen....
    Glenman wrote: »
    Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

R.I.P Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

I drove from Donegal to Dublin that night, roads where scary. Sad to see yet another young man Die on the roads of Donegal but it seems to be a too familiar reason for hearing Donegal mentioned on the news!
    Does anyone know the circumstances of the crash? Reading on the news it is saying the driver of the other car was banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I drove from Donegal to Dublin that night, roads where scary. Sad to see yet another young man Die on the roads of Donegal but it seems to be a too familiar reason for hearing Donegal mentioned on the news!
    Does anyone know the circumstances of the crash? Reading on the news it is saying the driver of the other car was banned?

There will be an investigation no doubt. Probably best not to discuss such matters as that on boards though. All that legal carry on and that ya know.

Roads are a scary place. I've put off learning to drive for the last 7 years!
    It really is such a pity. Just starting out in his life nevermind just starting out in his career. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

R.I.P Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Tragic loss. Heard about it on Shaun Doherty this morning. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

A very sad loss of such a yound lad just doing his days work....

RIP, Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

What is truly tragic is that the young man responsible for this was not already in jail. He was to be serving 6 months for other driving offences but was on the run.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/suspect-in-garda-car-death-was-on-the-run-1976534.html
    A MAN expected to be questioned about the crash which claimed the life of a young garda should have been serving a six-month prison sentence at the time of the incident.
    Martin McDermott was also currently banned from driving for 15 years.

He was also banned from driving for 15 years, having previously been banned for 10 years and five years for motoring offences.
    At just 24 years old, he had clocked up 79 offences. Garda sources have confirmed that the "vast majority" of the offences were motoring related, and included drink driving and dangerous driving.

Truly tragic, my condolences to the family of the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Very tragic indeed...

It is dispicable and shameful that 2 members of the Gardai have died in Donegal in such circumstances and as a result of reckless teenagers. Worse again, within 8 months.

This year would be the one time I am ashamed to be from Donegal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Very tragic indeed...

It is dispicable and shameful that 2 members of the Gardai have died in Donegal in such circumstances and as a result of reckless teenagers. Worse again, within 8 months.

This year would be the one time I am ashamed to be from Donegal...

It is an absolute tragedy and disgrace. I hope the full measure of the law without loopholes or anything else lets the Driver off. I am not sure where runnign a Garda Down or or ramming a Garda Car resulting in death is not a capital crime, but I fear some lawyer will find a way and our courts seem to have an embarrassing problem sentencing. Now we can't even get them from the courthouse to jail.

It could have happened anywhere in Ireland but I am more than a bit concerned that you can be on the run in Northern Ireland from a prison sentence in the Republic but ordinary folk can be subject to a serious crackdown on Irish Road Tax Evasion.

I trust the authorities will get their priorities right on both sides of the border, the roads are bad enough without this type of situation.

Its high time a bench warrant etc was able to be enforced in both juristrictions, especially seeing the Northern Authorities have the time and man power to check for silly things like Southern Road tax.

Advertisement