Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a good old mans pub??

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a good old mans pub in cork city thats big enough to hold a crowd of 15 or more, is central and serves good pints BUT with a choice of spirits for the ladys?? not looking for a place that only sells murphys and whiskey!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

The Long Valley on Winthrop St.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Clancys, home of quite music, old manishness and big tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Snesfan wrote: »
    Clancys, home of quite music, old manishness and big tables!
    ok googled clancys.. god old man pubs are getting fancy these days...since when do they have their own websites and free wifi??:) sounds good tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

nialljf wrote: »
    The Long Valley on Winthrop St.
    havent heard of here but got good reviews..thanks for the suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Clancys is actually nice alright and perfect seating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

well these aol lads are getting fairly high tech these days! so is that a plus one?

Common Clancys!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,699 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My call anyway is Dan Lowry's on MacCurtain St. Fabulous pints and friendly welcoming staff. Bit on the small side, would probably fit 15 but you'd be close to filling the back area. Here's some pictures

Another one on MacCurtain st is Gallaghers, its right on the corner if your after coming over Patricks bridge. Haven't been there in a few years, but was always a nice spot.

Also, not quite an old man bar, but imo its the best pub in cork, there's Fionnbarra's on Douglas St. Fantastic drinks selection, fantastic, huge, area outside, and still keeps the 'old man pub' kind of charm inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Callanan's by Parliament bridge , 3 euro for a pint of Beamish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Another one on MacCurtain st is Gallaghers, its right on the corner if your after coming over Patricks bridge. Haven't been there in a few years, but was always a nice spot.

I think Gallaghers has closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I was in the Castle Inn on North Main Street a few nights ago with a group of work mates. It's quite small but cosy. I loved it! Lovely pint and atmosphere and as old fashioned as they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I was in the Castle Inn on North Main Street a few nights ago with a group of work mates. It's quite small but cosy. I loved it! Lovely pint and atmosphere and as old fashioned as they get.
    That place is deadly. Bit small for this crowd though I'd say. Pints superb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Counihans down oliver plunkett street is a nice pub,nice pints,big enough,not sure I'd call it an old mans pub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The Spalpin Fanach? Decent pints, plenty of room and not over run with teenagers. Can be some decent trad sessions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You could try the Twins O' Brien as well. It's next door to Clancys and actually owned by them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Best old mans pub in cork has to be the HiB.... can't beleive it's not been mentioned yet!!!:)

+1 for the castle inn and the long valley too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Dennehy's on the Coal Quay would be ideal. Great oul man's pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

The Oval on the corner of South Main st and Tuckey St is my favourite pub in Cork. Tom Barrys on Barrack St might be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

solice wrote: »
    The Oval on the corner of South Main st and Tuckey St is my favourite pub in Cork.

+1. However, it's not really an old mans pub.

Sin É on Coburg St?

Advertisement