Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation in attic

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

So we got our attic insulated a few months ago and the external walls also done. I went up to the attic for the first time since it was done yesterday to get the christmas decorations down.

The felt under the roof is soaking. Condensation everywhere which has been dripping down onto everything. This has never happened before!!!

I am assuming that the insulation has caused this. Could they have blocked the eaves or ventilation or something when they blew in the insulation? This was done by an approved company so I assumed they knew what they were doing.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Could it be a coincidence that this has happened in the first cold snap since the work was done?

Going to give them a call about it but just want to find out if there could be other reasons for it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

Definitely give the company a ring mate. I saw something like that before in another country. Problem was ventilation, more precisely lack of it. When steam evaporates (cooking, human breathing, etc.) it travels up (pressure) and there are most likely couple layers of insulation on your roof. They should be active and let excess of steam through. Most likely it's too sealed or there are no ventilation vents around and it does not let steam out, which causes condensation and moist. It's like putting plastic bag on your head and trying to breathe, it will get wet from inside very quickly (nevermind suffocation :D ).
    Another factor might be simply because there is some hole in your roof and wet is coming from outside, but I'd say it's not that, rather it has something to do with recent work at your house and condensation. Good luck, post here what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

its a ventilation problem alright. the insulation company are well aware that they should not block up ventilation ducts, but some of the employees dont care, they just blow in the insulation any which way and dont care about the fact that your roof could be rotten away in a years time and will have to be replaced.
    I have seen this problem time and time again, just down to pure laziness and carelessness. best advice is to find the vent areas and unblock them, and hope that your timber roof isnt rotten. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

ive the same problem (just posted a thread).. I tryed installing vents to help but had no luck.. its doin my head in:confused:

This problem is very common but not many people inspect their attics! Whan the weather gets very cold, the whole north side of my roof is dripping with condensation.. south side is dry (sun)..

I was hoping when i out in two vents that it would be sorted... back to the drawing board..

Advertisement