Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply for breadboard

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey! I'm a total electronic novice so sorry if this is a really stupid question but here it goes... Would it be okay to use my phone charger to power a breadboard?? I mean it's just a transformer isn't it!:D

If this is not an option, which I suspect it isn't, can anyone recommend a place in Cork to buy an actual transformer?? ... and please don't say Maplins...I really don't want to get the bus out to Blackpool again:o

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It depends what voltage you want.

You can get power supplies that'll deliver what ever you need.
    Another easy option is an old USB cable. USB has a 5V DC line which you can get at by stripping the connector off the end of the cable and plugging the other end into your PC, Ipod charger etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Just made me look up the meaning of "breadboard". I used one of them in LC physics! Oh the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moving to electrical forum, mods if you don't want it, feel free to bounce it back to popular science. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

USB would be handy alright - most of them are electronically fused at ~500mA, so it limits the damage you can do.
    Otherwise, look to pickup a 12v adaptor from some household device and use that.
    You can easily convert it down to 5v if required using the following circuit:

http://dawn.singlespoon.org.au/build4.shtml

Look at the first circuit with the 7805 device in it. They are easy to obtain.

Advertisement