Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nimbin

Options
  • 14-12-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering has anyone been to Nimbin in NSW?

As I understand it it's a small town full of hippies, with cannabis used fairly openly

Do many backpackers etc go there? Any problems?

Worth checking out?

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

It's a mad place.

Worth checking out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

Theres a YHA in the town but if I were you i would stay in Byron Bay and do a day trip out there instead onless your big into your weed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just wondering has anyone been to Nimbin in NSW?

As I understand it it's a small town full of hippies, with cannabis used fairly openly

Do many backpackers etc go there? Any problems?

Worth checking out?

Dave

It's worth going. But the place is a kip. Don't stay there, as mentioned, do a day trip from Byron. This will be pretty cheap and will include a bus out there, barbeque and a few hours in the town.

And by the way, there is weed everywhere. But it isn't legal, ignore anyone that says it is. It's also not used that openly. The main street has cameras and the police do bust people who are public about what they are doing. Most of the selling goes on in backstreets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

the only thing ive really heard about nimbin is that it's the place junkies tend to go to try dry out. that, and heaps of weed, as mentioned.

let us know how it goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I have had coffee there a few times. Its an absolute kip and if you know no where else and you fancy a coffee, you can get it there often.

PM me and I will tell you where to get a good coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

^ lol

Nimbin is a kip! It has the sorts of people i hate the most...the people who go around wearing T-shirts with witty weed slogans that are equivalent to "Look at me, i smoke weed!". Theres also people going around who have been smoking lots of weed their whole life and they're completely destroyed! Then theres the pestering of "you wanna buy brownies/muffins/weed?".

i heard that the police give warning about when they're doing an inspection? As in "hey we'll be there next Tuesday!" so the locals have time to hide everything.

I suppose it was a laugh to go there and get stoned as a little detour from the :main: east coast attractions, but its definately a once off place, unless ur a big stoner!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I stayed there for about 3 weeks, loved it, was living up in a kinda of commune up in the hills, met jesus he took me looking for crystals in the river, learned to play the drums.. there's a lot more to nimbin than the town itself, it's worth exploring, there's some fantastic sights there..
    I really felt like I was in wonderland, giant fruit and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I had high hopes (pardon the pun) for Nimbin, but was more than disappointed. It wasn't the little open-minded hippy commune that it was supposed to be. Instead, it was a horrible tie-died, red-eyed promotion of drug culture. They've got it all wrong there. Hippies are supposed to be about a peaceful way of life, and they just happen to smoke a lot of weed. Instead of hippy culture, we were greeted with drug culture. Everything was about legalisation of drugs and how drugs are great and this that and the other. Full of idiots as well. Pity, because the surrounding countryside is gorgeous. The best thing about the place is the Rainbow Power Company...

Plus we were there for two days and there were two police raids.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had high hopes (pardon the pun) for Nimbin, but was more than disappointed. It wasn't the little open-minded hippy commune that it was supposed to be. Instead, it was a horrible tie-died, red-eyed promotion of drug culture. They've got it all wrong there. Hippies are supposed to be about a peaceful way of life, and they just happen to smoke a lot of weed. Instead of hippy culture, we were greeted with drug culture. Everything was about legalisation of drugs and how drugs are great and this that and the other. Full of idiots as well. Pity, because the surrounding countryside is gorgeous. The best thing about the place is the Rainbow Power Company...

Plus we were there for two days and there were two police raids.

LOL, The irony here is great.
    You were honestly expecting a hippy community, that somehow paradoxically, over 30 old years grew into a commercial attraction.

It's a strange way to spend a day in byron, expect no more and no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

tbh i didn't know nimbin was a big tourist attraction until i'd gotten to byron bay! then i saw all the tours that go and started to realise the truth. i'm just saying that a town like nimbin could be a cool place, but isn't. i expected it to be a bit like zipolite in mexico. a little town with gorgeous scenery run by hippies with drugs floating around. instead it's all about the whole "drugs are great, we hate cops" scene... pity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement