Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late submission of thesis

Options
  • 14-12-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me the penalty for submitting my thesis for my masters 1 day late? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The UCD Policy on Late Submission of Coursework:
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/late_sub.pdf
    Where explicit policies exist within UCD, the norm is that, for assignments marked out of 100, 10 marks are deducted if the work is up to one week late and 20 marks are deducted if the work is up to two weeks late. The practice for work submitted more than two weeks late varies, with reductions in marks of 30 to 50 being applied. There is variation across Schools with regard to how penalties are applied. There are some Schools who apply an additional penalty for each day the submission is late, while others distinguish work up to one week late, work between one and two weeks, and work more than two weeks late.

Its seems to be fairly standard across undergrad and postgrad courses that you are docked two grades. Try talking to your supervisor though, your school might have a different policy and as its only a day late they might be lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A thesis doesnt follow the same standard protocol. To get a 1 month extension costs about €500 for some schools we were told so try and get an extra days grace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Damn, that sounds like a big hit for the sake of a day!
    Did you mix up the dates or was it a conscious decision?

It applies to this post grad course:

http://www.ucd.ie/sils/postgraduate_current.htm

I think you're best bet is to go talk to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

There must surely be some extenuating circumstances provision if it's a genuine issue like transport/sickness/emergency or whatever.

• Advertisement

33% God wrote: »
    There must surely be some extenuating circumstances provision if it's a genuine issue like transport/sickness/emergency or whatever.

Yeah there is an extenuating circumstances form to cover legitimate excuses, but the OP never said they have a legit excuse. Maybe they do though...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Hi can anyone tell me the penalty for submitting my thesis for my masters 1 day late? Thanks

Submitting your masters one day late seems odd, are you sick or just misjudged the date cause surely you've got everything done. It's not like a late assignment. Anyway, not having a go....as far as I know and I'm doing a PhD you can ask your school for a grace period. I'm sure a day is no massive deal. Would be suprised if it was! Best of luck with it.

Advertisement