Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble Sigma 70-200 f2.8

• 14-12-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. My favourite lens and prized possesion is giving me trouble. Went to a match under lights last week and it would not focus automatically. When I came home cleaned the contacts and it was fine. Went to European cross country yesterday in Santry and had the same trouble. Came home and went through same and it worked again. I am careful with my kit and how I handle it. Sometimes there was a little grinding sound like the lens was hunting. Lens is 13months old

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this lens and what the problem could be? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks Leo.

Oh, is there a service centre in Dublin or can you recommend anyone who could have a look at it for me? Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just a guess but at this time of year maybe it has something to do with outdoor temperature and humidity in the air when you are outdoors? It shouldn't happen though regardless.
    I'm not sure if you are Nikon or Canon (or other) but I did have the Sigma 70-200 2.8 a few years ago and switched to the Nikon 80-200 2.8 and it was a vastly superior lens (and relatively cheap too...€450 used).
    My version is the 2 ring AF-D version which is reportedly the least sharp of any Nikon 80-200 2.8 version lens and its just stunning. If your lens is acting up/needs replacing the Nikon 80-200 2.8 are a fantastic lens at a really good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I am a Canon user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I use that lens with a Canon 40D. I find the autofocus slow in general but the last 2 games I covered in wet/windy conditions I started getting Error99 quite a lot. Lens about 9 months old and that was 1st time I had any bother with it.
    Would love to get the Canon version but alas it'll take a lotto win for me to upgrade any of my gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Seems strange that it only happens out at events, I had one of these and gave it a lot of abuse and it never let me down. Maybe user error? otherwise it could be problems with the contacts or HSM motor trouble, the only noise out of the focusing motor should be a smooth hiss and no grinding at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Borderfox wrote: »
    Maybe user error? otherwise it could be problems with the contacts or HSM motor trouble, the only noise out of the focusing motor should be a smooth hiss and no grinding at all

Funny you say that as it sort of grined when hunting for focus.

Saint-mel. Thats what I use it with also. The 2 times I have used it outdoors it was very cold and damp but not raining. Will follow this up later sigma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

LeoB wrote: »
    Funny you say that as it sort of grined when hunting for focus.

Saint-mel. Thats what I use it with also. The 2 times I have used it outdoors it was very cold and damp but not raining. Will follow this up later sigma.

I've used it at a few games before when conditions were bad but had no problem, just the last 2 games I was at shheded to throw the error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If it happens again, take the lens off and put it back on and see if it happens. Only mentioning this but do you use centre point only, just ruling out other problems.

Could be some sand/dust/grit in the mechanism, give it a shake and see if you can hear or move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If you can. Try the lens on a different body next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

go back to the store where you purchased it. talk to them..

Advertisement