Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flickr Pro account - hide original size?

• 14-12-2009 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just recently upgraded to a Flickr pro account as they'd started hiding my older photos on the free acount. The Pro account has "Original" as one of the sizes.... I can't seem to find any way to keep the previous size options available while blocking the original for general viewing.....

Anyone know how? Do I need to just uploaded a resized version... that'd be a pity as I was hoping to use Flickr as a backup resource.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I was lookin for this just recently, I could have sworn there used to be a checkbox on some prominent page marked "hide original size" so that you could make all the other sizes visible but hide the original, but I wasn't for the life of me able to find it. The profile/privacy/preferences pages are a bit of a mess, they're spread over several different pages accessible from different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If it can't be done I'd actually be happier with the Free account. :confused: Can't see why Flickr can't sort that as well as providing a few more size options... should only take a few lines of code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Afraid that doesn't help DK32!

There seems to be two options;
    1. Allow "All sizes", which annoyingly includes "Original" or
    2. Only show the small version and have all other sizes hidden.

I was just looking through the help forums about this and it looks like you're out of luck. There -is- no way of doing it. People, as a workaround, hide the all sizes for everyone, and then put a link in the pictures description to the large size, thus hiding the original size.

It also looks like I was obviously mistaken aswell, doesn't look like there was ever any way of doing it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pint

Shot in the dark as Im not very familiar with flickr but bighugelabs might provide a workaround to this. I always see users linking to larger versions of their photos using this so maybe there's an option to link to the original as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I know its not the original question asked but a wee tale of woe in the same concern space over here

Pint wrote: »
    Shot in the dark as Im not very familiar with flickr but bighugelabs might provide a workaround to this. I always see users linking to larger versions of their photos using this so maybe there's an option to link to the original as well?

Problem is that the OP is trying to do the exact opposite :D he's trying to make available all sizes without making the original size accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

It's labour intensive, but you can use something like Flickr Downloadr to download all your images in 'large' or 'medium' size, and then replace them on flickr, uploading only the maximum size you want people to see.

Came across this and it automatically places links to the large version in the photo descriptions. Gave it a go on a small set and it worked well. I did put a question mark linked back to their site though, but doesn't too long to run through and delete them.

Ridiculous setup Flickr has for this!

What's the story with Pix.ie in this respect? Can you decide what size options are available?

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    What's the story with Pix.ie in this respect? Can you decide what size options are available?

From what I remember pix.ie is even worse, doesn't even give you the limited options that flickr has to hide your large sizes. Although I could be wrong, I people were at them for ages to fix it, they might have done by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

foto joe wrote: »

As Daire says pixie doesn't attempt to protect the source image, so you only upload what you are prepared that people may rip off - accepted that they still are protected in law through copyright. The other way of looking at this is that screens will probably be most popular at a resolution of 1024x768 so anything more is just a waste (other than to serve as a back up which neither flickr or pix.ie purports to be). Yet another way of looking at it is that you save on pix.ie uploads. I've yet to hit the monthly upload limit with pix.ie - actually uploading 800px max on longest side, i've rarely gone above single digit percentage of upload used figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

GavinZac wrote: »
    It's labour intensive, but you can use something like Flickr Downloadr to download all your images in 'large' or 'medium' size, and then replace them on flickr, uploading only the maximum size you want people to see.

Looks like the only way round it alright, as some people have done.

Advertisement