Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picasa 2 - can't uninstall, didn't install correctlly - Mint 8

• 15-12-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am a noob at programming (law is my gig) but wanted to have an OS I could take with me and keep some files on. Typing lines of code into the terminal is not something I know how to do.

I used pendrivelinux's programme to install Mint 8 on my 4gb usb drive. I tried to install Picasa 2 on the drive but after the manager says that the install has finished no icon pops up in the "graphic" tab. Searching in the filesystem I found that it has installed into my "opt" folder - looking through various sub-folders I find a "picasa2.exe" - clicking on the programme (which has the wine icon) gives me this error:
    Archive: /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2/Picasa2.exe
    Zip file size: 5609016 bytes, number of entries: 35839

warning [/opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2/Picasa2.exe]: end-of-central-directory record claims this
    is disk 22097 but that the central directory starts on disk 41960; this is a
    contradiction. Attempting to process anyway.
    error [/opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2/Picasa2.exe]: missing 2510068891 bytes in zipfile
    (attempting to process anyway)
    error [/opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2/Picasa2.exe]: attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile
    (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
    appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

:( - but that's okay, maybe it's something to do with this being an USB booted linux - though pendrivelinux - s/he mentions something about creating persistency with a casper-re loop file? (It's all Greek to me)
    Persistent size: The default casper-rw loop file that becomes the partition for saving changes is only 1GB.

Update: The Casper-RW Creator now merged into USB-Installer, allows you to create a 1GB to 4GB casper-rw file.

So, if I can't successfully install the programme, that's a shame but I'll live with it. However, it seems that I can't uninstall the programme either. Since I can't open the programme I can't access the "uninstall" feature.

I've tried deleting the picasa file I find under the opt file, but a dialog box pops up informing I do have sufficient permission to do that (I've logged in as both the live user and as an administrator).

So, right now I'm fine with not being able to use Picasa...but I just want to get rid of those files (since I'm using a 4gb card, every mb is precious...)

Thanks for any help guys - though my problem may be very simple hopefully you won't laugh (too much) at my complete lack of programming know-how :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Start here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
    Basically installing and removing software is handled by a package manager.

Linux has a learning curve. It's very different from windows.
    Have a look at a few of the ubuntu beginners guides(99.999%) applicable.

Specifically picasa. My advice would be to give up on it for now. Try and find
    native Linux apps to do what you need first. Have a look at f-spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thank you very much - the link you posted pointed me to the software manager where I was able to locate picasa2 and uninstall from there.

I would love to install key components (extra language input choices etc) but right now I'm behind a university proxy and it seems that the linux download applications do not cater for proxies (or maybe I've yet to find them - I've searched on google for solutions too). For example if I try to install gnome games using the software manager it is just stuck on "downloading package files". telling me ultimately that "W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libg/libggz/libggz2_0.0.14.1-1build1_i386.deb" - I could follow the direct link, but that's only 1 of 22 required files...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Picasa is in Mints Software Manager/Package Manager too, maybe try that instead of through Wine might work better. ;)

Oops sorry, it's not native linux app, nevermind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Menu > System > Preferences > Network Proxy

I have tried that - I've inserted the same proxy into that as I do when using firefox... however nothing pops up asking me for my username and password unlike in firefox.

I'm using an auto proxy configuration:
    http://proxypac.tcd.ie/accelerated_pac_base.pac - when I start firefox I can give my username and password, when I try to download items for Mint no password prompt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Try download that pac file to your desktop then open it with a text editor. Among all the jargon there should be a list of proxy addresses and ports. Something like proxy.tcd.ie port: 8484. Enter one of the proxy addresses with the corresponding port into you package managers network config and then have another shot at it.

Thanks everyone for helping this novice.

This is what I get:
    // The last octet of the IP address is examined
    // Even TCD IP addresses will be pointed to proxya, odd addresses proxyb
    // PAC file format official documentation: http://wp.netscape.com./eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

// Variables:
    // host - the hostname extracted from the URL.
    // url - the full URL being accessed.
    // ip - IP address of client, can resolve to loopback if used from non-TCD network.
    // lastoctet - last octet of IP address of client.
    // removed dnsDomainIs(host, ".tcd.ie") || dm 23-5-07

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    var ip = myIpAddress();
    var lastoctet = ip.split('.');

//if requested URL is local; go direct else via proxy
    if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
    dnsDomainIs(host, "localhost") ||
    dnsDomainIs(host, "127.0.0.1") ||
    url.substring(0, 5) == "news:" ||
    isInNet(host, "134.226.0.0", "255.255.0.0") ||
    isInNet(host, "10.1.0.0", "255.255.0.0") ||
    isInNet(host, "10.2.0.0", "255.255.0.0") ||
    isInNet(host, "10.5.0.0", "255.255.0.0") ||
    isInNet(host, "193.1.64.0", "255.255.248.0"))
    return "DIRECT";
    else {
    //loadbalance even ending IP's to proxya, odd to proxyb
    if ( (lastoctet[3] % 2) == 0 )
    { return "PROXY proxyA.tcd.ie:8080 ; PROXY proxyB.tcd.ie:8080" ; DIRECT }
    else { return "PROXY proxyB.tcd.ie:8080 ; PROXY proxyA.tcd.ie:8080" ; DIRECT }
    }
    }

So I should use the proxyA (or B).tcd.ie and port 8080?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for helping this novice.

This is what I get:

So I should use the proxyA (or B).tcd.ie and port 8080?

Try both, it still mightn't work because of trinity's wi-fi security though, this is how I get ubuntu's package manager to get through to the repositories in UCD.

I use a wired connection and it works perfectly...thank you so much for your help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Picasa 3 has been out for some time and is a cinch to install.

• Advertisement
Advertisement