Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News: Passing of Ciarán Mac Mathúna

Options
  • 15-12-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Old news at this stage but worth mentioning:
    Well known broadcaster and music collector Ciarán Mac Mathúna has died.

Born in 1925, he was a recognised authority on Irish Music and lectured extensively on the subject.

A native of Co Limerick, Ciarán Mac Mathúna first joined RTÉ as a radio producer in 1955. One of his first jobs was to travel around the country in the company of a mobile recording unit gathering material for Radio Éireann's traditional music archive.

Mac Mathúna started his Mo Cheol Thú programme in 1970 and it became one of the longest running programmes on radio, finishing in November 2005.

His radio program on a Sunday morning was ingrained in my mind as I grew up... "Bail ó Dhia oraibh!"

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I was actually surprised that it had not been mentioned before now and thank you for posting :)
    Ciarán Mac Mathúna was a gentleman and played such an important role in the Irish trad scene. The last time I saw him was at the terenure Car Show a few years ago not long after he retired.
    I grew up listening to Mo ceol Thu every Sunday morning and continued to listen to it as an adult. It used to be on at 11 a.m before moving to an earlier slot.
    I can't listen to "The lark in the Clear Air" without been transported back to the Sunday mornings of the 80's and 90's. It brings back many happy memories and a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWoIfgXEt6o

His funeral takes place today in Terenure. R.I.P
    Ar Dhéis Dé go raibh a anam

Advertisement