Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Irish Horror

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good one? None come to mind, i think it's about time we irish scare the **** outta some people, any ideas?
    And not zombie cows, it's been done, same with sheep.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

A few come to mind but there all pretty bad

Isolation ( that's the zombie cow one)

Rawhead Rex (Not even worth a watch it's that bad)

Dead Meat (Have not seen it yet, another zombie film tho)

Shrooms ( It's decent for a irish horror, worth a watch)

New Irish horror film to be released early 2010
    http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/movies/Wake-Wood-begins-new-wave-of-Irish-horror-movies.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Portrait of a Zombie. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

liah wrote: »
    Portrait of a Zombie. :pac:

i'm in that, the careful now builder, but yeah, it's more of a comedy than anything i believe, unless it's not meant to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I remember a pretty good short film version of The Telltale Heart, but that's more or less it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Dead Meat & Shrooms are both absolutely crap to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Xios wrote: »
    i'm in that, the careful now builder, but yeah, it's more of a comedy than anything i believe, unless it's not meant to be?

It's one of those REALLY dark horror-comedies.
    In addition to Wake Wood, there's another Irish supernatural thriller coming out next year called 'Outcast'. Haven't heard anything about it though.
    Imagine that, 3 in a year. Here's hoping they'll be good.
    I mean, surely Ireland is due a really good horror film by now? Isolation, Shrooms and Boy Eats Girl (yeah I know the last one is meant to be funny, but that's no excuse) were all very disappointing.
    Haven't seen Dead Meat btw, but apparently it's pretty decent. Didn't get great reviews when it came out but the people I know who have seen it say it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Into the West. Thats pretty horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

All Irish horror movies are sh1t - the only good one was Dementia 13 from the '60s directed by FF Coppola. It's available on DVD too.

Nolanger wrote: »
    All Irish horror movies are sh1t -
    Nolanger wrote: »
    the only good one was Dementia 13 from

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

It's never happened. All Irish horror films made so far have had one common flaw, they've tried to apply American concepts to Irish settings which just doesn't work. Where are the Irish horror films based on the Irish horror stories? A good old spooky banshee flick would be a cracker, this country is filled with great ghost stories and true life horror killings etc, why has nobody managed to draw on these for inspiration?

More importantly, Legend of the Bog is great for a good laugh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah, it seems strange that there's never been a more Japanese-sh take on old Irish horror. Seems that style lends itself to low-budget well, so why not?

niallon wrote: »
    Where are the Irish horror films based on the Irish horror stories? A good old spooky banshee flick would be a cracker,

I remember seeing a trailer for a banshee horror film. Pretty sure it was American made though.

While not horror as such, there is an Irish film chronicaling the life of Bram Stoker (who wrote Dracula) coming out next year:
    http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/2721/56/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

niallon wrote: »
    It's never happened. All Irish horror films made so far have had one common flaw, they've tried to apply American concepts to Irish settings which just doesn't work.
    That could be said about all Irish media, we're trying to be like the UK or US instead of trying to just tell an Irish storey in an Irish way.

Advertisement