Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier- dream job

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about being a courier. A job id love, as i live close to town and am very fit. I dont know if they would be hiring in recent times. Anyone know of any vacincies. And one other thing, i know my way around town but i dont know the name of every single laneway and small street, how do you solve that problem when you are starting off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I did it years ago. Bit of a b1tch of a job-suits some people cos of the independance of it though. Always used to be easier to get a job in the winter-fair weather couriers are despised by the pros.

Once you know the bones of the geography and can read a map you will pick it up fast enough.

Main thing is to be regular and dependable.You only make proper money if the guy on the radio gives you the work. The companies appreciate and look after good guys.-There is a high staff turnover. You have to do the crap work and be prepared to not make great money in first couple months.Once you get experience you will have a job anytime you want.

Just call in to all the companies-look keen-and tell em you know town "well enough" or some equally meaningless phrase. Keep calling regularly-As I say there is a high turnover of staff.Ask guys in the street whos good to work for-best companies won't need guys often but you never know.Get to know other couriers- the business works word of mouth largely.

EDIT. If you find out the current rates-Minimum-mileage-waiting time- and post em, I could stab a guess at potential earnings.

Don't know what the money is like now but it used to be ok in my day.There will be slack periods but you just have to ride em out.(boom boom).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

There are a few people working as couriers at the moment on the fixed gear board, they might be able to give you some advice. http://www.dublinfgss.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dolanator

right ive been involved in the courier industry since i was 17 im now 21
    it is the worst possible job at the moment,alot of couriers on pushbikes are making the same as the dole or less,it USED to be a good job ie loads of money to be made but now you do the same amount of work for a lot less,not worth the hassle imo,fair enough it keeps you fit if you love cycling its a plus too but seriously i wouldnt recomend it unless you owed someone money and they had a gun to your head,im not working anymore due to some **** of a receptionist ignoring me so i gave her a oiece of my mind and got sacked,but shes actually a ignorant hore,long story short if you like being dirty smelly tired and get paid ****all its the job for you

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

dolanator wrote: »
    if you like being dirty smelly tired and get paid ****all its the job for you

I see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

a friend of a friend is a bike courier, and he was telling me he nearly eats what he erans because of the calories he`s burining every day

sounds ****e if you ask me, but each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Did it one summer...many moons ago...before I became a pro :D (IPMBA)
    Money was good, 5-6 hours a day pedalling, getting a good tan. Youll need a good lock, and a bike that you dont mind bashing around.... forget quick release bits etc, it will be stripped in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Have fun.

Many havent.

Many wont.

Let us know if you last the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I did it for a summer and a wet summer at that with one of the best known Dublin companies. I liked it a lot. Lots of freedom, self motivation due to commission based pay, the cut and thrust of Dublin traffic, wind in the helmet speed thrills, lots of cycling of course and knowing that you are doing the antithesis of an office based drone job. If you're in any way an outdoorsy person get some decent layers and give it a go. Money will be poor these days but even if it's similar to dole money you're still spending five days a week in a job, of sorts, which will look better on the CV than dole time doing something that'll keep you fit and is a whole lot of fun if you find it suits you. I was NEVER bored. Major bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

well i posted a couple of Cvs today. Doubt the are looking for staff though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

let us know how you get on, i'd be interested to hear how you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I don't know to be honest but I'd advise you to keep wandering in to various courier companies looking for work. You might get fcek all but you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

well i posted a couple of Cvs today
    They will be in a drawer gathering dust tomorrow.:)
    Seriously though-It ain't that sort of business really.I reckon you are better off getting on your bike and calling in to em all once a week.

Ask if they are "looking for pushbikes" and you will sound in the know. Its not uncommon for people to walk in and be sent to collect a package there and then.Bring your map with you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

papac wrote: »
    They will be in a drawer gathering dust tomorrow.:)
    Seriously though-It ain't that sort of business really.I reckon you are better off getting on your bike and calling in to em all once a week.

Indeed. I remember calling one company to ask if they were hiring and the fleet manager asked if I had any qualifications. I said "I have a bike and I can read a map, what more do you want?". I started work the next day.

Advertisement