Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you ever too "old" to start a band?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭

Here's my story: When I was around 18/19 I was in a band - while not technically good, we had a lot of spirit and attitude! - but we packed it in.

So here I am 10 yrs later, not playing anything these days, but I'm still fairly good on the drums, and I can write some good tunes when I put my mind to it - and I want to make music, not just do Coldplay covers down the local.

This isn't necessarily about me, but in general. Is 28/29 and up, too old to be making music, from scratch?

It could be argued that 20-26 is the peak....and perhaps after that musicians live on past glories and/or go radio friendly, and lose that spark they had, and cease to be 'relevant' or 'revolutionary'.

So what do you think?....Is genuine revolutionary music just for the 'young' and the older musicians just work away making music that's not going to 'change the world'?

And being 28/29, with no back catalogue of much loved classics, is it realistically a little late in the day, to take to the stage?

Or am I talking rubbish? and music is for one and all, and age is irrelevant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Not at all. I know a few old fogies playing in bands - one who plays in a band with younger people, too!

A crowd couldn't give a rats arse if the band are old, as long as they're good in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

if 28/29 is too late int he day to be playing music then I should have packed it in years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Younger people dont (should n't ) have a monopoly on music. Yes, music is for one and all. It is never too late to play in a band. If you dont give it a try, you will always regret that.

Go for it !! and good luck with it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Age does prevent you from doing some stuff (e.g. becoming a professional athlete) - it does not prevent you from doing this though. And certainly not 28/29 - especially if you have no other major commitments. If you were to view your age, in and of itself, as an obstacle, it would be you who's doing the holding back, not your age.

Go for it - best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deedal

Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger all in the sixties, still writing great songs and performing. Leonard Cohen brilliant poet and songwriter 75 years young.
    Age is in the mind till ye can't get yourself up outta the chair anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The OP is 29, not 109 :)

Get on with it and stop making excuses ;)

as Nike say, "Just slip on your runners and get behind that drum kit and be a drumming god !" OK this was only said to me in private by Nike execs, but they said it regardless !

I don't play any instrument except for my flute..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

......ahhh the boul flute playing.

This kind of insecurity stems from your own musical tastes, pop culture tells us that if you want to be Jimi you should have a massive back catalog and girls in every contenient by 23 and dead by 27, clapton - Dylan? giging and writing since 16 - (Dylan 2 albums a year from 1965). I think making music and being in a band- touring- recording etc could not be more removed- One is a lifestyle choice (and you may get signed) and the other is a vocation. Would you consider yourself too old to paint?- I say be true to your vocation make music- if it makes you happy to do it- who could stop you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

sure aren't half the people in bands these days OAP's ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The good bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A lot of popular bands around at the moment are early-20s guys strumming cowboy chords and looking trendy. A lot of them are also ****.

I hate the idea that there are any rules for music. I also think that, if you want to make music, you're gonna make music no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

El Pr0n wrote: »
    A lot of popular bands around at the moment are early-20s guys strumming cowboy chords and looking trendy. A lot of them are also ****.

lol - too true but its been going on for 40/50 years.
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    I hate the idea that there are any rules for music. I also think that, if you want to make music, you're gonna make music no matter what.

Couldn't agree with this more. If it sounds good then whatever comes out of should be recorded. I can't stand the idea that something does not sound indie/metal/dubstep/whatever enough. Its why so much of each "genre" sounds the same and there are few breakthroughs (such as Kraftwerk). It's an industry after all as is the movie industry and that's what keeps it fairly dull.

OP, you are never too old. I only started recording again last year after about a 10 year break. When I was 16/17 I was questioning myself because at times I thought I was too young to be playing the blues music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

One word - Franz Ferdinand. Ok, two words, but they were well into their thirties when they started. Not a fan, but they are pretty popular. First example that came to mind when I saw this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Yeah ye don't have to be young to be good - after all, being DEAD isn't stoping Jimi from being the best guitarist in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Yeah ye don't have to be young to be good - after all, being DEAD isn't stoping Jimi from being the best guitarist in the world

...... joint best.... alongside our own Rory Gallagher !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

The who @ live8 was an education for some bands 30/40 yrs younger than them. Theres a local rockin blues group here where the youngster in the band is 56. So no, I don't think your past it at 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Age hasn't been a barrier to Seasick Steve......

Go for it OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I was thinking the same. Im 40 now and when younger i use to play guitar a bit with a few lads. Never would call it a band though.

Now however as my life is slowing down and i find i have more time on my hands id like to start playing again.

Trouble is how to you get in touch with similar types. Im sure they are out there. but how to make contact is the thing.

Advertisement