Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Bumps - Can people just put them in?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Quick question, can people living in a small estate simply build speed bumps themselves?

Is there planning permission required for this?

Comments

yes, you can't just interfere with a road. If the road is public, then council permission is needed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I'm just interested as the "committee" in our estate have stated they are putting in speed humps.... no consultation or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Noffles wrote:
    I'm just interested as the "committee" in our estate have stated they are putting in speed humps.... no consultation or anything?
    If the estate is not taken in charge (by the council), it is still a private place and the owner of the road can do pretty much what they want.

I hate speed ramps - they punish everyone for the sins of the few. The committee should try to tackle the problem. You can volunteer to help on this aspect e.g. confront the speeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

daymobrew wrote: »
    If the estate is not taken in charge (by the council), it is still a private place and the owner of the road can do pretty much what they want.

I hate speed ramps - they punish everyone for the sins of the few. The committee should try to tackle the problem. You can volunteer to help on this aspect e.g. confront the speeders.

The estate is yet to be taken over by the council so is still with the builder... wh o has long since disappeared. So this means they can pretty much do what they want on the road....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Noffles wrote: »
    The estate is yet to be taken over by the council so is still with the builder... wh o has long since disappeared. So this means they can pretty much do what they want on the road....?
    It does mean that the road owner can do what they want. In this case the builder could object to someone messing with his road. Also, when the road comes to be taken in charge, the council could insist that such speed ramps be removed.

Contact the Roads Department of your local council for more information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement