Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice with regards to plumbing.
    We have noticed that the water pressure in the taps etc has been very low over the past weeks but this has been intermittent.

However this morning as I was in the shower the water seemed to have stopped altogether and we only have a wee bit of water from the hot tap.

I obviously need to get a plumber but should I have turned off the water at the mains??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

how is the pressure at your sink - thats the first place to check. If its ok there then you have an internal pressure system problem as opposed to having a feeding in problem.
    If its internal probably a faulty valve, dirt etc... best to get a plumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

The pressure in the sink is gone.
    Hopefully we can get a plumber this evening as I don't fancy no shower in the morning.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

At your sink there is probably a tap - check its open. Are you in a house - if so then check out on the footpath that the toby box valve is open. In front of your house in the footpath there should be a water box - open it and there should be a key in it to open/close the water supply - check it.
    If you are in flats - pass.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    At your sink there is probably a tap - check its open. Are you in a house - if so then check out on the footpath that the toby box valve is open. In front of your house in the footpath there should be a water box - open it and there should be a key in it to open/close the water supply - check it.
    If you are in flats - pass.

Thanks very much.
    I'm in a house and I think the "stop valve" is out the back, I will have a look at this this evening.
    With regard to the sink, if there was an issue with this tap would it still affect the shower and all the other water outlets??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You probably know this, but take care re heating etc that is waterfilled/run if you have run water from that system and it is not filling up.

Hoping you get a plumber out fast.
    Millie wrote: »
    Thanks very much.
    I'm in a house and I think the "stop valve" is out the back, I will have a look at this this evening.
    With regard to the sink, if there was an issue with this tap would it still affect the shower and all the other water outlets??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What are the hot and cold like at the kitchen sink?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is it only at certain times of the day?
    In Balbriggan we had terrible water pressure and no water at night because the council turn off the pumps.

From talking to the neighbours it appears that it is the council that are to blame.
    They have been doing road works around our area but to send a notification that there maybe issues with the water never occured!

We still have very limited water this morning but I managed to wash my hair under the kitchen tap.
    I am worried though as am I not supposed to turn on the gas heating?

I am of course trying to call the council but I suppose as it's only 9.30am it's a bit early for anyone to take my call :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring the councils water section,they are really nice helpful people that will tell you the truth about what is going on.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Ring the councils water section,they are really nice helpful people that will tell you the truth about what is going on.

I rang them Moonbeam but they are saying there isn't a problem with the mains. Looks like a plumber is needed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Re the heating

If you have drained the system?

I was told not to use heating when water was off.

If you get a plumber, he will tell you what is safe etc.
    And if it is the council, send them his bill. He will know

We were left without water several times early this year; a man was buidling and putting in new drains and got the whole system turned off; never informed us of course.
    Millie wrote: »
    From talking to the neighbours it appears that it is the council that are to blame.
    They have been doing road works around our area but to send a notification that there maybe issues with the water never occured!

We still have very limited water this morning but I managed to wash my hair under the kitchen tap.
    I am worried though as am I not supposed to turn on the gas heating?

I am of course trying to call the council but I suppose as it's only 9.30am it's a bit early for anyone to take my call :rolleyes:

Advertisement