Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Shop Dundalk when you can Shop Banbridge!!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

was sitting in traffic on the bridge at the railway station and noted that the advertisement board has a big advert for Banbridge citing the benefits of shopping there ! I'm sure there isn't a sign in Banbridge advising ppl to shop Dundalk !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pull it down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What were the other benefits other that price or was it just price?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Theres a massive sign in Drogheda for banbridge as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You have to laugh, we get told by our government and local businesses to be patriotic :rolleyes: :p

I saved a good bit shoping in Newry last night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Half the people wouldn't be going up north if the papers & television had never publicised it. I'm nearly convinced the news media down here are working for Enterprise northern ireland.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

the vat rate is changing in north in the new year this will level things up a bit so check the savings before you go pumping 20€ of gas into the air

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭metalwood

I only live 3 miles from the border so it makes financial sense to go north. I never shop in Newry its a traffic disaster for the time it takes me to get into newry sittin in traffic jams i can leave the house and be in banbridge in 40 mis
    My shoping in dundalk cost me €180 per week (big family) i can get it in tesco banbridge for cira €110 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

metalwood wrote: »
    My shoping in dundalk cost me €180 per week (big family) i can get it in tesco banbridge for cira €110 :)

I absolutely agree, it is cheaper, i've done it myself in the past, but my point is, while we all know half of Dundalk shop in newry / north surely advertising to do so on all roads entering the town is rubbing salt in the wounds of the already wounded traders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

the vat rate is changing in north in the new year this will level things up a bit so check the savings before you go pumping 20€ of gas into the air

2.5% isn't going to close the gap. And I can't think of anywhere in Louth that would require 20 quid of petrol to get to Newry and back unless you're driving a tank.

On the ads, sickner, free market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

bettedavis wrote: »
    I absolutely agree, it is cheaper, i've done it myself in the past, but my point is, while we all know half of Dundalk shop in newry / north surely advertising to do so on all roads entering the town is rubbing salt in the wounds of the already wounded traders.

Wounded traders? Dont you mean the people who have been ripping us off for years? As I explained to one local trader recently the difference in VAT has nothing to do with the gap in prices.
    We have tried to shop local where possible, but it is virtually impossible these days. We got a Chinese last night as we were both working late. 2 starters and a main course was almost €30 in town, the same meal can be had in Newry for less than £15.
    One last thing. I have some across a number of roadworks around the town lately, even outside the council offices last week. Tarmacadam must be considerably cheaper in the north also, every company carrying out the work was northern. Even the council seem to have copped on that there are huge savings to be had a few miles up the road.
    I would love to see Dundalk get back on its feet, but that isnt going to happen until it is competitive again. Dundalk and many other towns needed help in the budget. A half percent cut in the vat rate is nowhere near enough. Newy, Banbridge, Belfast and every other decent town in the north will continue to flourish while everyone stands around down here and does nothing while we get ripped off. People are voting with their wallets and purses and going north. Its simple economics.
    Shop Dundalk my ar*e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I live close to Newry (12 minutes max) but I always shop in Dundalk as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the traffic and parking up North. I can't see anything wrong with advertisements for Banbridge as it's an open market (remember Mastreacht, Lisbon etc?) and this goes on along most borders in Europe. The France go to Germany for Christmas shopping etc.
    I have to agree that traders in Dundalk are doing very little to compete and the council aren't helping - halving strret parking rates for December my a**e.
    People have a right now to spend their money where they wish. So let them. With wage cuts and an income levy they'll be looking for even more value to looking North again!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Not familiar with the signs, but if it's on private property they are free to advertise as they wish (within reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

- halving strret parking rates for December my a**e.

That's the biggest joke of all. Why bother. And why in this day and age do the Marshes still charge for parking? Are they afraid that people will bugger off for the day and use their free parking? I would have thought that they would be using any idea imaginable to get the punters in the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And why in this day and age do the Marshes still charge for parking?
    You'll have to ask the council that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And why in this day and age do the Marshes still charge for parking? Are they afraid that people will bugger off for the day and use their free parking? I would have thought that they would be using any idea imaginable to get the punters in the doors.

Don't you recall when they opened the Council had it as a condition of their Planning Permission that they match the pay parking conditions around the town? Don't blame the operators of the Marshes; blame the council!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Don't you recall when they opened the Council had it as a condition of their Planning Permission that they match the pay parking conditions around the town? Don't blame the operators of the Marshes; blame the council!

I did not know that! Jebus that was some condition. Suppose thats why its free weekends and evenings then.

Advertisement