Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit torrent client for Ubuntu

• 15-12-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone know of a good Bit Torrent client for Ubuntu? I have tried installing utorrent over Wine and Ktransmission but they don't work. As in any download fails to start, no error, just doesn't start to download. I have connectivity to the web.

Thanks
    hertz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

utorrent should work fine through wine. I use azureus myself (it's called something else now). Installed it an age ago and it "just works" so I'm not bothered changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

hertz wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know of a good Bit Torrent client for Ubuntu? I have tried installing utorrent over Wine and Ktransmission but they don't work. As in any download fails to start, no error, just doesn't start to download. I have connectivity to the web.

Thanks
    hertz

I used to find KTorrent pretty good when I was using torrents. I don't use them much any more so others here may have better suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Transmission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use rtorrent - command line tool. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Khannie wrote: »
    utorrent should work fine through wine. I use azureus myself (it's called something else now). Installed it an age ago and it "just works" so I'm not bothered changing it.
    ya its called vuze. works well on ubuntu, looks and feel exactly like it does on windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Various options available such as Azureus/Vuze, Transmission, Deluge, rtorrent, ktorrent.

Azureus/Vuze is probably the most fully featured (a.k.a bloated :D).
    Transmission is nice and simple but I think the latest version for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) is buggy i.e. Transmission 1.75

Deluge has a similar interface to uTorrent and would be the one I'd use mainly.
    I've just started using rtorrent. No GUI, just command line so there is a slight learning curve but apparently it's the lightest on system resources.

I haven't tried ktorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

rtorrent is very light - as you'd expect from a cli tool. I used to use Azureus but got fed up with it's resource hoggery. It was actually called Azureus when I used it - how long ago did it change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

rtorrent ftw!

Transmission is good too if you have gnome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I use azureus/vuze, and have never had any real problems with it.

The version available in ubuntu is (was when I last used ubuntu) not the latest.

To get the most out of it, you need to switch back to the old gui, to do this, go tools > options, then go to interface > start > Display Vuse UI Chooser [Show], and select classic interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I like ktorrent on Ubuntu which works well. I switched from Azureus but can't remember why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Transmission

Have used this the odd time and was happy enough with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Transmission does it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

I would have to add yet another vote for Transmission. It is fairly powerful, yet simple and gets the job done. Plus the web interface is nice, as I can use it to administer the server in the other room from my Media Center PC. I have tried a few others and they just feel bloated...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

hertz wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks
    hertz

I was running utorrent through wine on ubuntu a year ago, sometimes the window management would get screwed up and I would be unable to get the utorrent window to display.
    It worked perfectly anyway.
    Use the "top" command to make sure it isn't running in the background.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ktorrent is my weapon of choice (on xubuntu)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Gonna have to agree with the Transmission guys. Works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Transmission doesn't work for me with *some* well known tracker, I think because they use DHT or something, rather than having one prime tracker. Just something to be aware of. I just know it doesn't work with torrents from that one tracker, and will with others.

Advertisement