Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem booting PC (no beep, nothing displays)

• 15-12-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade my PC (install Win7 and install new RAM)
    I installed the RAM no problem, the PC booted and I checked the new 2Gb were installed properly. Then, I booted the PC from the CD and now is when it went crazy; one screw fell onto the MB close to the CPU, I took it as I could since it was quite hot. Then, the PC shut itself down automatically.
    Now, each time that I try to boot, I get no beeps, no display in the monitor, the HD and CD rom remain lit an active but nothing happens. The PC restarts all time automatically after a couple of minutes approx.
    I have unplug all the unnecessary devices for booting and now I have only the PSU, CPU, MB and the case.
    Before I unscrewed the MB (GIGABYTE GA-EG41MF-S2H) from the case to check for short circuits, any idea of what is going on? Does the screw story make any sense at all? The fact is that that media center has been running for approx a year till I opened the case yesterday sad.gif

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

pjuegos wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade my PC (install Win7 and install new RAM)
    I installed the RAM no problem, the PC booted and I checked the new 2Gb were installed properly. Then, I booted the PC from the CD and now is when it went crazy; one screw fell onto the MB close to the CPU, I took it as I could since it was quite hot. Then, the PC shut itself down automatically.
    Now, each time that I try to boot, I get no beeps, no display in the monitor, the HD and CD rom remain lit an active but nothing happens. The PC restarts all time automatically after a couple of minutes approx.
    I have unplug all the unnecessary devices for booting and now I have only the PSU, CPU, MB and the case.
    Before I unscrewed the MB (GIGABYTE GA-EG41MF-S2H) from the case to check for short circuits, any idea of what is going on? Does the screw story make any sense at all? The fact is that that media center has been running for approx a year till I opened the case yesterday sad.gif

Thanks

I will check the Ram again if it's inserted properly. That's a common problem it might show you once but then cause the random reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the RAM a few times and it was fine. Also, there was already a module working properly before I inserted the new module. Even after installing the new module, the PC booted properly and I could see that all the RAM had been installed properly.
    Besides, if the RAM was the problem, should not the PC beep anyway to inform of a RAM problem?

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Are you sure it's all hooked up? I once drove myself nuts for 20 mins after forgetting to plug in the 4pin socket over the CPU :o. It behaved pretty much as you describe.

I think so. I will double chect it tonight at home but I remember checking the wires and also checking that the CPU was getting hot

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

I had the exact same issue "(no beep, nothing displays) " Make extra sure the ram is clipped in properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Check that the dock that you insert the ram into isn't coming lose. hold it down while rebooting and see if that helps. I have this problem on my laptop

Thanks.

I will double check it again tonight ,but I think I inserted the RAM in all the different slots. Also, before everything crashed both modules of RAM were well recognised by Windows. I doubt that then both modules unclipped at the same time.
    Anyway, I will double check that tonight

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

YOU can put in a bootable cd in the cd drive if it spins 4 5mins and stops that means its trying to boot from the cd.I think the motherboard ,or the graphics is damaged.IF you have an old pci graphics card, take out the old card try that.IF mobo is damaged it will prbly damage the card so DO NOT put in a 8800 100euro card.Disconnect the hd, cdrom and dvd be4 you do anything else.
    A loose ide hd/cd cable can stop a pc from booting.

thanks for your suggestion. I will try that out tonight

In the meantime, I brought the 2 RAM modules to the office, where I tried them both in another PC and I can at least confirm that both modules did not fry and work properly.

Thanks

Back home, I verified the RAM is well inserted.
    I have also followed gamer's advice and I inserted a bootable CD. The drive did not spin for too much time, which indicates that is does not get as far as the boot menu.
    I unplugged the 4PIN power connector of the CPU and I get the same behavior...

This is not looking good...

• Advertisement

Looks like you need a new motherboard, you could have a look at adverts.ie
    I just bought ram off this guy. (good price, no BS)

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=168557&cat=fav

He's got one of these for sale:

Motherboard: GA-965P-DS4 (rev. 1.0)

Maybe you could deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

YOU could buy a motherboard with the same type of cpu socket.RE use the ram and cpu.I,M not a techie, so i cant tell if your present cpu is damaged.
    IT MAY BE SIMPLER to just put in a new mobo,and cpu .IF you are not a hardcore gamer a dual core 2.0ghz is enough for casual gaming or web browsing.
    IF pc has a 3.5inch drive you could put in a bootdisk win98 ,see www.bootdisk.com see does it spin up.
    ie for most people a intel i7 is more cpu power then they will ever use.
    that mobo/cpu in advert above is good value.

Have you read this?
    Because of chipset limitations
    * To avoid the system being unable to start or the memory being incorrectly detected, if only one memory module is to be installed, we suggest that you install it on the DDR2_1 or DDR2_3 socket; to install two memory modules, we suggest that you install them on the DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 sockets.
    * Do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.
    taken from

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2954

thanks very much for you willingness to help.

I have tried all possible combinations of 1 and 2 modules in different slots without help.

I think is definitely the MoBo or CPU. The most likely the MoBo, which is under warranty. So, it should b ok. Thanks for the links suggesting cheap replacements .It is much appreciated

The one thing is still intriguing me are the Phase Leds in the MoBO. There are 4:
    • Leds 1 and 2 lit green
    • Led 3 does not lit at all
    • Led 4 list red

What is the meaning of all this?

Thanks

pjuegos wrote: »
    thanks very much for you willingness to help.

I have tried all possible combinations of 1 and 2 modules in different slots without help.

I think is definitely the MoBo or CPU. The most likely the MoBo, which is under warranty. So, it should b ok. Thanks for the links suggesting cheap replacements .It is much appreciated

The one thing is still intriguing me are the Phase Leds in the MoBO. There are 4:
    • Leds 1 and 2 lit green
    • Led 3 does not lit at all
    • Led 4 list red

What is the meaning of all this?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know anything about that.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure the problem does not lie in the power supply.
    Just to be sure before you send it off.

I checked the PSU voltages and they look all fine.
    Gonna send the MoBo back to the manufacturer. Hopefully, everything will be fine. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement