Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amusement Arcades in Blackrock?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I used to go to Blackrock as a kid around 20 years ago...

There used to be an Arcade run by a guy called Trevor...i drove through Blackrock recently and have'nt been there in 10 years...Arcade is still there..
    is Trevor still running it? :)

I used to also go to a palce arcross the road..it was in an old hall...run by a old lady and some old boy...anyone remember it??

I live in those places when I was a kid.... :)

And I see Danny Hughes is still going..LOL..what a legend of a place..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It was a real treat to get to Blackrock when we were small (30yrs ago). We'd get a bus from St Patricks. My mam would pack some homemade buns and a bottle of orange for a picnic. We were never allowed to wear swimsuits 'cos she was a bit neurotic about the cold. I remember Danny Hughes shop with the buckets, spades and those wee windmill things outside and the wall along the beachfront was always full of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Trevor sold it a few years ago, not sure who it belongs to now. I would go in there to play pool, but since Harrisons have a table there is no need.

And the place across the road...Jonie's I think? Was very young when that was around myself. I do remember they had an Alien 3 machine in it though!

Danny Hughes is really more of a music shop now run by Conor (his son), though he still has a part o the premises to himself. Conor's part has a pretty good reputation among musicians as far as I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Oh the Memories of some would say a mis-spent youth:)

Ye Trevor and Niall were the two guys who ran the Arcade, Many a pound I lost there playing poker!!

And Jonies (billy was her husband, rite) across the road, for the snooker.

I even remember the swimming pool when it was in official use and not so offical use:D

Danny tried to poison many a person with his food if you were silly enough to buy it.
    All Fun and innocent times.

Dont think its just as much fun for the kids nowadays:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

Great to see people with similar memories..

I used to play Shinobi in Trevors back in the late 80's (88, 89, 90).

Yeah,....that was the name of the woman..Jonie and Billy... :)

I remember going to the swimming pool behind Jonies/Billies there to do some drinking with me mates..LOL..great times.

And the the teenage disco's in the Fairways/GlenDevlin and we used to be hammered going to it..LOL

Great times..

And I remember Trevor being a sound bloke..he got on well with all the kids..

Anyone know were he has gone to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Yeah Trevor and Niall were likeable guys, no idea what they're at now actually! I remember being very small and 'back-seat driving' some lad playing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sidescroller, 'Kill that guy', 'Pick up that sword' etc. Maybe that was you?! :P Was very patient with my instructions whoever he was.

The swimming pool has been an apartment block for many years, was still grand for drinking though. ;) The old hall with Jonie's in it is now a Centra and a pharmacy.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Yeah Trevor and Niall were likeable guys, no idea what they're at now actually! I remember being very small and 'back-seat driving' some lad playing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sidescroller, 'Kill that guy', 'Pick up that sword' etc. Maybe that was you?! :P Was very patient with my instructions whoever he was.

The swimming pool has been an apartment block for many years, was still grand for drinking though. ;) The old hall with Jonie's in it is now a Centra and a pharmacy.

Yeah..probably was me..hehe...

The good old days...

I left Blackrock about 17 years ago and moved out of Co Louth..

I actually was planning on going to Blackrock some day and had planned on visiting the arcade.. :)

We probably know similar people if you were around Blackrock in those days/years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

God you lads are rehashing memories,

I would be a bit older but remember the fair and all the fun it brought. Trying to get a job at it was always a big deal but my folks wouldn't let me the spoilsports,

Spent many a summer there and vaguely remember the Glen or was it studio something and being hammered going in. Progressed onto, I think, roosters?? That was a long tima ago now. Must be ten maybe 12 years for roosters or whatever its called and alot more for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Now theres a blast from the past, Roosters:):D such Fun.

Ye was all about the arcade on a friday Saturday night, early 90s, then sending someone into the waterfront for cans, or a good old bottle of Linden Village:D
    The Fairways has Re-opened and hasnt changed at all, exactly the same layout, carpet, couchs everything.

Advertisement