Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction

Options
  • 15-12-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys, does anyone know if you have to pay for the 2nd semester accommodation if you are evicted? Or does anyone know of any way of getting around the contract so you can move out and not pay? Much appreciated. Going to ring Richard now and just ask him myself. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Why were you evicted? I'm intruiged...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

i'd rather not say to be honest. no offence

Boo, spoil sport :P

I would imagine that you are entitled to some money back. My parents own an apartment and rent it out, so im sure they'd know what you're entitled to. I'll ask them this evening if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd imagine you don't but I'm no legal expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

jripper wrote: »
    i'd rather not say to be honest. no offence

Glory holing your neighbors walls, I knew it! :D

• Advertisement

glory holling the ceiling actually..haha. Well i haven't payed for the second semester yet. But they say in the office that we still have to pay even if we want to live somewhere else. Its the way the contract is made up, we're not tennants in ucd we're guests. But im sure someone has got out of it before..hopefully its possible. I just want to pay my fines , make peace and get the hell out of here.

jripper wrote: »
    glory holling the ceiling actually..haha.

You sick puppy...

If it's in the contract then I guess they're well within their rights not to refund you, especially considering you're being evicted. But tis a bit harsh to enforce it on students, as its a significant financial hit.

Badger, hassle and plead with them enough and you might get out of it... good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yeh you're right, you aren't a tenant, you merely have a license to reside. However, I wouldn't be fully sure if you have to pay for the second semester - check out the small print on what you signed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

i'm moving out of campus because i hate it, i'm not paying for next semester, don't know if i should tell them or not... I know I'm not entitled to my deposit back but they can't make me pay for the second semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Unfortunately the UCD residences office are not always the most, well... accomodating of people. I moved on campus about 3 weeks into the semester and had to pay as if Id been living there since September 1st... even though there'd been a girl already living in my room so UCD ended up getting double rent for my room for 3 weeks. I was told it was 'all or nothing' and plenty of people would snap up my place unless I paid up etc. etc.

So yea, you'll have your work cut out getting round them but don't give up. Did you sign up for a full years contract or only until December? Maybe if you have someone lined up to take your place they'll let you go without paying. As long as they get their money they should be happy enough. Are you female by any chance? I happen to know of 3 girls trying to get on campus for semester 2 but theres no space for them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I do know that richard is one shrewd operator,so good luck getting round him.Read the small print on your licence to reside.I think you might be in the same res as me,I remember hearing about that incident.I've PM'd you about it anyway.If you can't find your licence to reside you can have a look at mine.Also, as far as I know you can have someone represent you at the hearing about the incident[maybe a R.A you get on with] or generally someone from kerry,they can chat their way out of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I had a fair few run-ins with "dickie" myself...I would assume that the best thing to do is ask him a lot of questions and tell him you can't afford it. Also go to boards favourite student union they willl plead your case

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Any chance this relates to an incident in Glenomena a while back?

Nope i'm not in glenomena. I already asked if they could advertise my room as vacant and they said they have to fill up the empty appartments first. And no i'm not female so those girls couldn't fill up my place. I've given up trying to negotiate with the office as they just don't care and don't want to help. I've also been trying to contact Richard yesterday and this morning with no luck, but I was talking to him before and I think he's sound, so i might be able to plead with him to let me leave..hopefully. I contacted the su welfare officer too and he couldn't do anything either. I'll give anything a try a this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Unfortunately the UCD residences office are not always the most, well... accomodating of people. I moved on campus about 3 weeks into the semester and had to pay as if Id been living there since September 1st... even though there'd been a girl already living in my room so UCD ended up getting double rent for my room for 3 weeks. I was told it was 'all or nothing' and plenty of people would snap up my place unless I paid up etc. etc.

So yea, you'll have your work cut out getting round them but don't give up. Did you sign up for a full years contract or only until December? Maybe if you have someone lined up to take your place they'll let you go without paying. As long as they get their money they should be happy enough. Are you female by any chance? I happen to know of 3 girls trying to get on campus for semester 2 but theres no space for them yet.

I'm female yes. I'm just sick of Glenomena, its noisy, the launderette is expensive and ****, electricity gets used up so quickly, centra is overpriced and understocked and I really don't like living with students. if you lose your student card you have to pay €80 in total as a Glenomena resident.

If I leave I'm prepared to forfeit my deposit, I don't think i could stick another semester, I know I've gone past the months notice anyway because I've been under serious pressure, but how else are they going to make me pay? I'm going to look at the contract, I assume its until next May.

Ok I got it sorted, I don't have to pay for the second semester. Now i just have to find somewhere to live.. Thanks for replies guys. Later

You're way too slick for my liking... give us something! :p

I bet you were involved in he great lick arse 09... up to here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm placing my bet on the old reliable i.e. holes in the walls.:pac:

Advertisement