Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Cider and possibly incorrect yeast/lack of nutrients?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

I have been using the Brew Buddy kits of homebrew cider for a while with no issues. I was making up the latest batch last night, and it seems to have come with wine making ingredients.

Normally at the top of the pack is a 7g packet of yeast and a similar size pack of nutrients, however this time there were 3 packs, 1 7g pack of "Super Wine Yeast", one sachet of stabiliser and one sachet of finings.
    Now, I have used the stabiliser and finings making wine before, but have never had them included in a lager, beer or cider kit.

As i was short of time, and couldnt be arsed sending it back :) (have plenty of other kits available to make), I decided to make the cider in the usual way using the "Super Wine Yeast" and without the usual pack of Nutrients (which only seem to be supplied with the Brew Buddy cider, never with lagers etc.)...

Any ideas if this should work, or if there is something else that would need to be done to ensure a successful brew (will the lack of nutrients be an issue?)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wine is just grape cider. The yeast will be fine.

I'd say you'll get by without the nutrients too.

But really I don't know why you'd buy a cider kit or what's in them. They're a bit of a scam, really. 23L of Lidl cloudy apple juice and a sachet of Young's cider yeast will get you decent cider. Nutrients optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Should work fine, have not had a problem in getting yeast to ferment out my cider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

BeerNut
    Nutrients optional.

Do you use nutrients? I don't as i think keeping the apple juice nitrogen low is a good idea. I have started adding a grated cooking apple to the lidl juice it seems to improve the body.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No, and that may be what kept the FG nice and high at 1.006. Which is good.

So do you sanitise the apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

BeerNut

So do you sanitise the apple?

Ni i just give it a wash though. I figure if llewellyn can ferment with wild the yeasts on apples cannot be that bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement