Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPVC Windows not closing fully

Options
  • 15-12-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

HI Folks,
    Looking for some help with my white upvc windows at home. 2 or 3 of them don't close fully to create a tight seal. It's the same with all of them. They close fine on the handle side but not on the other. These windows have hinges top and bottom. I believe they are called "friction hinges". Hope that makes sense.
    Wondering if any of ye can help. I guess there is some sort of adjustment can be made to these but I don't want to go messing with the hinges. And as luck would have it these are 1st floor windows.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

My granny used to have pvc windows that open in two ways

1. they hinge at the top and swing out about 30 degrees from the bottom.

2. they hinge at the side opposite the handle. and swing out like a normal window.

kind of high tech for a window, she used to have trouble getting them closed sometimes, I think she'd just keep trying to bring the window to the closed position and mess with the handle until it slipped into the right mode.
    does the handle turn all the way up as well as down?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

I know the windows you are on about. Mine only open one way, like a normal window, outwards from one side. The handle turns down and yes it goes all the way.
    The window closes perfectly on the handle side but when you look at the opposite side it hasn't closed fully and there is a gap between the window and the seal.
    It's like as if the top and bottom hinges are kicking the window out slightly when closing......:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Is this a new building? A buddy of mine lives in a very old apartment, the windows don't close because the building is leaning over:pac:
    If this seems more like a mechanical problem i'd try opening the window fully, then examine the hinges for damage/bending , gently try to shift the window in it's carriage while lifting the window slightly. try and pop it back into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have aluminium windows that had this problem at the hinge side.

Mine have a type of cranked double hinge that allows the window to open wide leaving a gap both sides. Just before the window closes fully there is a nylon guide (cam?) that helps to locate it home. What was happening was that it was not locating and sliding properly on these guides.

A good clean up and liberal coating of vaseline on the guides 100% resolved the issue (more than a year now and still OK).

I'm not sure if this matches your problem - posting some pictures would help people to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

Thanks Blackbox. I'll give that a go. I believe they are the same type of hinges. Like yours mine also open wide on one side and the hinge side also opens a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement