Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop needs to be repaired. Hardware-problem.

Options
  • 15-12-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I have this trusty old (well almost 2 years soon) Sony Vaio.
    Surprised to say i just noticed this week that the right arrow-key has stopped working. Seeing that i do not hear any *crunch* sound when pressing it there's no crumbles underneath it. So. What can be done?

1. Ignore it, the rest of the laptop is fine.
    2. Send it to Cork Computer Clinic? :pac:
    3. Find a Boardsie who feel like earning some extra money.
    4. Give it away? I mean, it's christmas after all.. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

dMaN24 wrote: »
    I have this trusty old (well almost 2 years soon) Sony Vaio.
    Surprised to say i just noticed this week that the right arrow-key has stopped working. Seeing that i do not hear any *crunch* sound when pressing it there's no crumbles underneath it. So. What can be done?

1. Ignore it, the rest of the laptop is fine.
    2. Send it to Cork Computer Clinic? :pac:
    3. Find a Boardsie who feel like earning some extra money.
    4. Give it away? I mean, it's christmas after all.. :P

Trusty ....
    My Apple iBook toilet seat edition was manufactured in 2001 and is still going ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

1. could work but annoying.
    2 Na
    3. DIY it might only need a clean/ whats the cost of a replacement keyboard.
    4 if your going there dibs.

I might be arround to give it a clean if its fixible but without knowing model or anyhting else I'd give no guarentees. As the saying goes its hard to tell over the interweb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Curious problem...try just taking the keyboard out and fit it in again (it's very easy, you can Google for a guide for it), might be a failing contact in the thin cable that connects it to the mainboard.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't care - a spare keyboard might be quite costly; I thought about replacing the keyboard on my laptop (bought it elsewere and wanted the Irish layout on it), but HP asked me 89 $ for the spare part...I don't think Sony will be much cheaper, if any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

The model is Vaio vgn ar61s http://www.astraforum.ro/forums/storage/45/121927/Sony-Vaio.AR61s.jpg

And to remove the kb i think i read somewhere that i have to go through the bottom, and remove basically everything.

Well if you thinking of tossing it what have you got to loose. Be care full with electro static dischage( some might sugest investing in a braclet for it) or just mind where you pu tthe fingers.

Pick up a jewlers set of screw drivers €2, Remove power and battery. draw an outline of the laptop on an a4, place screws on it as they come out. HDD out ram out, cd out, Then screws arroud mother board try not to houce the mother board save for the edges.

The all you should have left is the Keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

TBH, the giving away-part was just my sad kind of humour.

BUT! I found the service manual i was looking for.
    Looking through it, it seems i have to remove a lot of stuff, before removing the kb (page 6) http://home.comcast.net/~nw_systems/VGN-AR.pdf

Lucky me for being home alone on christmas. Gives me time to plot around. Sadly this is my only computer, so if anything goes wrong i guess i'm doomed. :S

Remove battery and Skip to step 8, if not 9 if you can get at the lower of the 4 screws in pic 9. (again look before you pull)

I cant see an immediate need for the other steps. If you break it USB keyboard as an interm.

Or buy a can of compressed air for this sort of thing and give it a blast around the key if you dont feel overly enthused about dismantling.

Advertisement