Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to ashbourne

Options
  • 15-12-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I'm moving to Ashbourne (buying near garden city) any thoughts or advice from anyone living in ashbourne would be greatly appreciated...it seems like a nice area???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

pmr31, I've split your post out into it's own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pmr31

thanks sorry bit of a mad day and having a problem getting used to this forum doh! thanks.

Paraic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No problem. Welcome along!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I grew up in Garden City and it's a much better prospect now than it used to be. Ashbourne doesn't really have any bad areas per se and Garden City has a great bunch of people in the resident's association who keep the place looking well. They put up a load of hanging baskets along Castle Way and have a tree done up with lights for Christmas at the entrance to Crestwood. I think any place that has an active resident's association like that is a place worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

Hi there, I grew up in Garden City and my parents still live there, I think its a great place to live as estates go, its nice and mature now and as said a lot of work goes into keeping the place nice with flowers etc. You're only a few mins walk from the village (it used to be a village! I remember as a kid there was about 2 buses a day and you couldn't buy a pair of pants if you needed them! ) There's everything you need there now and the cinema is a great addition!
    It's pretty safe although as with everywhere there has been incidents and wouldn't recommend walking alone very late at night. Overall though I'm proud to be from there and there are lots of lovely people living in the town! Best of luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pmr31

thanks everyone...thats nice to hear....i havent heard anything bad to be fair...was looking in Balbriggan but prefer Ashbourne...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

check out the stags head for your local. great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

samhail wrote: »
    check out the stags head for your local. great pub.

I drink there..... It's not the nicest pub but the bar staff are really friendly.

Garden City is nice. It's very big. I got lost in it the first couple of times I ventured up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ohhh your that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

That_Guy wrote: »
    I drink there..... It's not the nicest pub but the bar staff are really friendly.

It has it's charms :cool:.Staff are much nicer and the atmosphere is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

Where abouts near garden city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Garden City is all the estates leading south of Ned Nulty's Lane/Castle Street - if you're heading into Ashbourne and turned left at the lights at the bridge and left again, you're in Garden City. Crestwood technically isn't Garden City but it's all the one now really.

The reason it's called that is that it was quite a differnt way of building houses in Ireland. "Garden City" is really a concept; the idea is that cars are kept hidden away and gardens flow from one end of the estate to the other. The whole place (bar Crestwood) went up in the early 70s and you'd notice in places like Castle Crescent, Castle Close and Castle Park, most houses have a garage next to it.

Those that don't almost all built driveways (which wasn't really the idea - any house that didn't have a garage next to it had one nearby). Then came the shrubs and bushes between houses. Then the fences. Then the walls, the cobble-locking, the walls with fences on them - the lack of planning enforcement was quite staggering ("Meath CoCo in ignoring Ashbourne shock!").

Anyway, despite all this, Garden City remains a nice place to live. It could do with a road link to Alderbrook but they've decided they'd rather not have that, citing safety concerns (despite the fact that having no speed ramps and houses much closer to the road, Castle Way has had very few accidents in the past 30 years). This means all Garden City traffic heading towards Dublin has to go back towards the village and down again towards the Nine Mile Stone.

St Declan's is a grand school, Centra is possibly the least hassle of all of Ashbourne's six supermarkets (I often shop there for the small stuff, despite Aldi being closer) and it was a great place to grow up. It's a bit of a maze towards Broadmeadow Road and Tara Lawns etc. and there's some even more interesting houses up there (master bedroom with balcony overlooking the sitting room, anyone?), I think they're based on some Canadian idea.

There are a few drawbacks - boy racers tear up and down Castle Way a bit, it gets a bit rowdy at Halloween and the shops used to be a bit dodge at night. The shops used to be a bit better-stocked - there was a butcher and newsagents beside Centra and a vegetable shop on the other corner but then they do have a pretty good Chinese there now (although Ashbourne's Chineses are always subject to fierce debate, no-one agrees) that was a hardware shop in the 80s.

Good luck with it anyway, OP! You'll be getting a bargain - while other, newer estates have fights over management fees, they never existed in Garden City and probably never will!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

Im from garden city, Ashbourne , just wodering what road/street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

samhail wrote: »
    ohhh your that guy.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

i'm still living in garden city & its a nice place to live in general. St declans is very handy & can avoid the morning school rush {please let your kids walk to school,theres too much traffic there in the morning times}

the shops aren't as good as they used to be but at least they are close.

Have a look at the amount of cars parked along the road you're buying on-this can often be a pain{particularly in the snowy/icy weather}

I would recommend it overall- you will always find worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

'Garden City' sounds like a Chinese take away. What's its real name, as in townland?

http://www.logainm.ie/?text=Meath

http://tinyurl.com/ygfephe

http://www.seanruad.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Rebelheart wrote: »
    'Garden City' sounds like a Chinese take away. What's its real name, as in townland?

Killegland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

decob wrote: »
    Killegland

Aha. That, or rather Killeglan, was the name for all of Ashbourne until 1820 when one Frederick Bourne renamed the place after himself, with the Irish remaining Cill Dhéagláin. The Seagraves or Sedgraves of Killeglan were the primary Norman family of the area in the late medieval period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not a townland, it's a housing estate. I think it was the first estate to be built in Ashbourne. Ashbourne as a whole is Cill Dhéagláin/Killeglan, with a few local things (the school, credit union) named after St. Declan. One of the new streets is called Killegland too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Aha. That, or rather Killeglan, was the name for all of Ashbourne until 1820 when one Frederick Bourne renamed the place after himself, with the Irish remaining Cill Dhéagláin. The Seagraves or Sedgraves of Killeglan were the primary Norman family of the area in the late medieval period.
    Very interesting! Thanks.

Advertisement