Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router assistance for PC + Mac

• 15-12-2009 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Boards
    I have a brand new Sony Vaio w-series mini laptop with windows 7, i also have a 6 year old Apple Macbook with Mac OS version 10.4.11, and a 2 year old apple i-touch
    I have cable broadband from NTL coming into my apartment - the internet connection to the apartment is pretty good so I'm looking to by a fairly prompt/active router that's compatible for Mac + PC.
    This is where you come in
    What wireless router am I looking for, to my understanding I just need to plug the wireless router to the NTL internet modem using the ethernet cable and then teach the
    1. Apple Macbook
    2. Sony Vaio
    3. Apple i-touch
    to talk to the router

Please help, as the Vaio is a netbook I have to register/set it up/load security via the net, I have been unable to do this to date:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Buy router... use setup disk... note down WPA key... connect.

It's that simple... follow instructions that come with the product and you can't really go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If all the devices are 802.11 G compatible, then any 802.11G router will do. Avoid Belkin though, they tend to be not very good. Linksys, Netopia, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I concur... Belkin's consumer level stuff is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Netgear have the easiest set-up and most userfriendly interface that I've used.
    A Netgear G router (WGR614 for example) shouldn't cost you more than €50 in ashop, or €35 online.

Belkin/Linksys/D-Link/Buffalo would be the other main brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keithore

Thanks boards, I am a Boards Virgin so I literally only setup the account two hours ago, amazed by the prompt response, one of the responders recommended A Netgear G router (WGR614 for example) have any of the rest of you experience with Netgear, will this be compatible with Mac + PC and connect to NTL's broadband internet modem?:D

• Advertisement

keithore wrote: »
    Thanks boards, I am a Boards Virgin so I literally only setup the account two hours ago, amazed by the prompt response, one of the responders recommended A Netgear G router (WGR614 for example) have any of the rest of you experience with Netgear, will this be compatible with Mac + PC and connect to NTL's broadband internet modem?:D

The WGR614 is the router that UPC used to supply themselves.
    It's an okay entry level router, nothing special, but very good if you're just starting out so to speak.
    The userface is very simple, and it takes all of 5 mins to set up.

It'll work perfectly with your Mac and PC.

Just make sure it's the cable router, not the DSL one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keithore

Thanks again, this Boards is excellent, where were you all my tech life, you recommended the Netgear WGR614 as a good starter/entry level type one, say for example I'm willing to spend 60 to 80 yoyo's and planned on running a small internet setup at home, what then can you recommend, specifics will be most helpful, the apartment is small, really only 2 rooms I'd be using it in and they're separated by stud walls, I'd rather spend decent money now for as good as the budget I suggested can get, :D than go entry level now and replace it in 6 months?

keithore wrote: »
    Thanks again, this Boards is excellent, where were you all my tech life, you recommended the Netgear WGR614 as a good starter/entry level type one, say for example I'm willing to spend 60 to 80 yoyo's and planned on running a small internet setup at home, what then can you recommend, specifics will be most helpful, the apartment is small, really only 2 rooms I'd be using it in and they're separated by stud walls, I'd rather spend decent money now for as good as the budget I suggested can get, :D than go entry level now and replace it in 6 months?

I had the WGR for a year or so.
    It was in a two story house, and was used by multiple devices (two laptops, two desktops, and two games consoles).
    The house was a fairly old house and had thick walls but I never really had a problem.
    A lot of people complain about the WGR, but you'll find that most of them just didn't have it set up properly.
    It really reliable, and user friendly.

If you wanted to make your connection more futureproof you'd be better goingfor an N class router.
    UPC will be brining out 100 MB speeds next year, and a G class is only 54MB (about 40MB in the real world).

The N class would probably cost you up to €100, but would mean that you're capable of better speeds in the future.

Judging from the discription of your apartment, the G class is fine for range, so it's up to yourself really.

Whichever router you get, you can always come back here and ask for help setting it up.

If you have the €90 to spare, I'd go for an N class.

Advertisement