Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Guess which 3 Clonmel Pubs are gonna shut next Thread!!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Roll up roll up, word is 2010 will see three more inns go to the wall. Anyone care to take a stab and perhaps offer a reason why they're not doing so good. I must stress it's only a rumour now but its quite a believable one considering the nature of the pub business and the premises invloved. That should make it a little easier.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I must stress it's only a rumour now...

A rumour that 3 pubs are going to close and it that this has been decided which ones? lol

Now if I had to guess the next 3 to close I'd say.....

The GreyHound Bar

The one on Emmet Street that changes name every 4/5 years (no idea what it's called these days...)

The one on Parnell Street at the top of Anglesea Street (Ryans?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Ponster wrote: »
    The one on Emmet Street that changes name every 4/5 years (no idea what it's called these days...) Its called the Office, its been closed for years.

Annie kehoes, recently damaged by the floods in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

iceage wrote: »
    Annie kehoes, recently damaged by the floods in Clonmel.

No chance, hard core piss pots drinking in there till 5am every morning.

1.Allens
    2.Moynihans
    3.The Greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Rumours were flying around at the weekend that Tierneys on O'Connell st was folding.I would find it hard to believe myself but anyone else hear anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I heard tierneys and Liam Dalys! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Ponster wrote: »
    The one on Emmet Street that changes name every 4/5 years (no idea what it's called these days...)

Emmet St? Gerrards? The Office? Among others. Aint been a pub there in ages, and as someone else said twill take more than a recession to close Kehoes......

Sean Tierney's was one of the places that's rumoured to go in the New Year. Been there as long as I can remember, but no one going in there now apparently. Food gone downhill so I guess he's had enough after the years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Emmet St? Gerrards? The Office? Among others. Aint been a pub there in ages, and as someone else said twill take more than a recession to close Kehoes......

The Jagged Edge ?

Didn't realise that it had been closed for so long.

Tierneys food is two expensive,they haven't a hope of compeating against the likes of Mullcahys in times where money is scarce.

tippspur wrote: »
    Tierneys food is two expensive,they haven't a hope of compeating against the likes of Mullcahys in times where money is scarce.

Someone has to pay for all that polish he uses to beep the brass work shining!!!!

I have only been in there twice in last few years and it was like a morgue both times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Its been along time since I was in Liam Daly's.....Nice guy though.I remember years ago there was a wall that seperated the bar from the lounge.Allen's was finished when Mick Boland left....they even got rid of sky sports....it closes early at the start of the week now...so that coild be one for the list.Does Jimmy O' donnell..beside Liam Daly's still open at night? I dont know how any pub can manage to make a living now...they are all empty.

• Advertisement

Allens, or Devanes as its now known, also one heading for impending doom. No loss either if it does go. Unfriendly place. Waste of a fine space however.

Someone has to pay for all that polish he uses to beep the brass work shining!!!!

I have only been in there twice in last few years and it was like a morgue both times...
    I was in there two days in a row recently only because i was on Jury duty down in the Court house and that's where they bring you for your lunch (free 4 course meal)on the second day I ordered the chicken curry,well I don't know what the fcuk it was but it wasn't chicken curry as I know it,awful tasting stuff.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Rumours were flying around at the weekend that Tierneys on O'Connell st was folding.I would find it hard to believe myself but anyone else hear anything ?

I'd believe it. The place is always quiet. It's been dead every time I'm in there, so much so we just leave...and abuse the person who made us go in there!
    ciano1 wrote: »
    I heard tierneys and Liam Dalys! :eek:

Can't stand Liam Daly's either. The price of drink in there is incredible.

I've no idea which might close.

I hear Lonergans is supposed to be back open? Maybe it's a temporary thing and could close again.

Yeah the price of the drink is pretty saucy in Daly's alright, a fine Guinness is served though for a quick one or two quiet ones. Its quiet in there a lot too but I doubt they would be thinking of closing the doors somehow. Family run, been there for ages, no recent renovation costs etc.

Tierney's, Devanes are the favourites in the market anyways! Devanes 2/5 and Tierneys 5/6.. :D

Yeah the price of the drink is pretty saucy in Daly's alright, a fine Guinness is served though for a quick one or two quiet ones. Its quiet in there a lot too but I doubt they would be thinking of closing the doors somehow. Family run, been there for ages, no recent renovation costs etc.

Tierney's, Devanes are the favourites in the market anyways! Devanes 2/5 and Tierneys 5/6.. :D

See while Daly's may be a quiet spot for a few drinks, it's too quiet for my liking. The place, in fairness is huge and wide open! The seats can be a bit of a nuisance too. But they're petty complaints!

I can't see it closing down though.

DuM where are you getting your 'sources'? :D

The grapevine of course, where else!!!

I did hear when Lonergans closed that they had the option of reopening if all the debts were sorted. I dunno its current status however.

The grapevine of course, where else!!!

I did hear when Lonergans closed that they had the option of reopening if all the debts were sorted. I dunno its current status however.

A couple of weeks after they 'closed' I heard that a couple of friends where in there. No idea about it at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Liam Daly's is a trip back to the 1970's (albeit with 2009 prices).
    I would guess it's a pub in Irishtown...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I was in there two days in a row recently only because i was on Jury duty down in the Court house and that's where they bring you for your lunch (free 4 course meal)on the second day I ordered the chicken curry,well I don't know what the fcuk it was but it wasn't chicken curry as I know it,awful tasting stuff.:(

Jury duty? Is that what we're calling "the accussed" these days. The countrys gone shocking for PC titles.

Jury duty? Is that what we're calling "the accussed" these days. The countrys gone shocking for PC titles.
    :D:D

• Advertisement

The accussed go the the Mayfair or Subway:D

DT100 wrote: »
    The accussed go the the Mayfair or Subway:D

Which are both better than Tierney's by all accounts. Which is why it's on our list. Stay with the topic people!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Tierneys used to do a huge trade in the 1990's.
    I worked in Clonmel during the early 1990's and Tierneys food was superb and very very busy.

Obviously Sean's found it hard to get the business during the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Chawkes?

Nah I'd say Chawkes is safe as houses. But seen as you asked we'll chalk it up at 16-1.

Which are both better than Tierney's by all accounts. Which is why it's on our list. Stay with the topic people!!! :D

I should have said that the accussed go to Fitzgerald's for the hire of the suit and shirt.:D

Nah I'd say Chawkes is safe as houses. But seen as you asked we'll chalk it up at 16-1.

The price on Chawkes is drifting.....20/1 now.

DT100 wrote: »
    The price on Chawkes is drifting.....20/1 now.

Did ya pass down and look in the window and see it was choc-a-block?

Did ya pass down and look in the window and see it was choc-a-block?
    I would say that Chawkes is one of the busiest pubs in Town.

• Advertisement

Yeah it does a steady trade alright as far as I know. I only go in there the very odd time but its a decent inn. The main gripe I have is when I stand up to go to the bar or the toilet I have to duck the head. WTF with the low ceilings like! I'm no giant either.

Advertisement