Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Guess which 3 Clonmel Pubs are gonna shut next Thread!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

hinault wrote: »
    Chawkes?

Cannot see it happening. Hugely popular and busy pub.
    Yeah it does a steady trade alright as far as I know. I only go in there the very odd time but its a decent inn. The main gripe I have is when I stand up to go to the bar or the toilet I have to duck the head. WTF with the low ceilings like! I'm no giant either.

I've hit my head once or twice. Design of that area is a bit off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I was taling to someone that was in Tierney's last night and said there was a big crowd in there,they asked one of the barmen what was the story about the place closing and he said he heard nothing about it.

tippspur wrote: »
    I was taling to someone that was in Tierney's last night and said there was a big crowd in there,they asked one of the barmen what was the story about the place closing and he said he heard nothing about it.

I guess it's just people's general opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Yeah we're speculating more than anything else. It wouldn't be the first time staff were kept in the dark over impending shut downs. Or possibly they were told and directed to keep stuum. Or else we have it completely wrong and it will still be open this time next year. We won't be lengthening the odds just yet though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

a lot of people are saying Tierney's are in trouble with money etc..I heard today that the reason they are probably closing is because Séan is retiring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Heard last weekend that the Sows Ear on Davis Road is closing shortly.

The Sow's Ear is a new one on us here. Don't know anything about the place so can't comment. Seems like there's a new pub closing every week, or a tale of it anyway.

To summarise the list so far then, we have:

Devanes/Allens
    Tierneys
    Daly's (unlikely)
    The Post House
    The Sow's Ear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

egan2020 wrote: »
    Heard last weekend that the Sows Ear on Davis Road is closing shortly.

Brendan Dunnes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Ponster wrote: »
    Brendan Dunnes ?

Thats the one alright ponster...I see them selling Christmas trees outside there the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just saw this thread on the main page, so I was just telling the gf about it. By coincidence she was in Devanes/Allens today and overheard a strange conversation between 2 lads at the bar.

Basically, one guy rang a taxi to bring him to Devanes, and the taxi driver told him that Devanes was closed and to go to Muls, that it was the best pub in town. So the guy says thats rubbish, bring me to Devanes, which is of course open. Anyway, the two guys were saying that they had heard these rumours about various pubs and came to the conclusion that Muls had paid a few taxi drivers to get these rumours flying and to encourage customers there.

• Advertisement

I've heard from a couple of people too about Tierneys and Daly's. Both owners are said to be retiring. Morans is supposed to be too and possibly Moynihans beside the Piper Inn and Chawkes.

This is only speculation, not solid sources!

I'll be out on the Town tomorrow night and I must make some inquiries,whether I will remember whatever I hear is another question.:p

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Just saw this thread on the main page, so I was just telling the gf about it. By coincidence she was in Devanes/Allens today and overheard a strange conversation between 2 lads at the bar.

Basically, one guy rang a taxi to bring him to Devanes, and the taxi driver told him that Devanes was closed and to go to Muls, that it was the best pub in town. So the guy says thats rubbish, bring me to Devanes, which is of course open. Anyway, the two guys were saying that they had heard these rumours about various pubs and came to the conclusion that Muls had paid a few taxi drivers to get these rumours flying and to encourage customers there.
    That would be a dirty stroke by Mulls if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Splendidly negative thread lads!!
    The future of Clonmels Public Houses being discussed via the internet. The speculation of which one is to close next......
    No wonder for people to be putting 2 and 2 together to get 6!!
    Its idle gossip like this that stops potential business from going into particular pubs and bars!!
    I see it being the usual suspects in the names that have been dropped but in all honesty it is just idle speculation!
    Devannes is a bar that has been the subject of much of this speculation. Have any of you any idea how strongly positioned this premises is at the moment??

The only bars that are in trouble at the moment are premises that have big mortgages and not enough clientele. Not enough clientele to cover the mortgage. If a premises has no mortgage and is just trading away with paying suppliers and the tax man it can survive on a turnover of €4k a week!! But if you have to service a mortgage of €4k a week then you need to be turning €30k a week!!

Lokk around for the bars that are either long term leases that were agreed in the boom times and are suffering the down turn now. Bars purchased for crazy money and busy but just not busy enough..

How much money do you think is owed on the likes of Chawkes, Moynihans and Tierneys?? Very little I would be thinking..

Its idle gossip like this that stops potential business from going into particular pubs and bars!

I would take that statement with a rather large shake of salt now.

This probably belongs in the Conspiracy Theory forum.

Splendidly negative thread lads!!
    The future of Clonmels Public Houses being discussed via the internet. The speculation of which one is to close next......
    No wonder for people to be putting 2 and 2 together to get 6!!
    Its idle gossip like this that stops potential business from going into particular pubs and bars!!
    I see it being the usual suspects in the names that have been dropped but in all honesty it is just idle speculation!
    Devannes is a bar that has been the subject of much of this speculation. Have any of you any idea how strongly positioned this premises is at the moment??

The only bars that are in trouble at the moment are premises that have big mortgages and not enough clientele. Not enough clientele to cover the mortgage. If a premises has no mortgage and is just trading away with paying suppliers and the tax man it can survive on a turnover of €4k a week!! But if you have to service a mortgage of €4k a week then you need to be turning €30k a week!!

Lokk around for the bars that are either long term leases that were agreed in the boom times and are suffering the down turn now. Bars purchased for crazy money and busy but just not busy enough..

How much money do you think is owed on the likes of Chawkes, Moynihans and Tierneys?? Very little I would be thinking..
    Good post there Matt.

NEW PUB OPEN IN CLONMEL,the BAKERS BAR in Parnell st.Anyone of ye ventured in there?

I would take that statement with a rather large shake of salt now.

This probably belongs in the Conspiracy Theory forum.
    i wouldn't put it apast you know who in Mulls to do it.;)

i wouldn't put it apast you know who in Mulls to do it.;)

True that. Saw him walking up the town yesterday, looking very worried indeed. Maybe he has his own difficulties.

Happy Christmas to all Clonmel tipplers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bigy, MULCAHYS has gone into liquidation and is rumored to be closing its doors. Heard it from many different people the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Ha, thats nothing!

He was caught keying doors parked outside his doors not so long ago.

NEW PUB OPEN IN CLONMEL,the BAKERS BAR in Parnell st.Anyone of ye ventured in there?

Where Harry's court was?....I think it was o' briens bakery many moons ago.I used to hear many stories of how they used to knead the dough,I wont say any more for fear of puting you off the christmas pudding:D

hblock21 wrote: »
    Ha, thats nothing!

He was caught keying doors parked outside his doors not so long ago.

I remember reading that case in the Nationalist...a while ago now.I never go in there....dont like the owner at all.

I was parked outside the front of Harry's yesterday, the shop front looked the same as it has done for all the years it was closed. There were workers on the inside alright. How has it opened already? Or am I confused! Good ol Harry, now there was a live wire. Wonder what he would make of the rumours of Muls going under.

Feck it lads...I just checked.....All the pubs are closed today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Heard that Morans is going in the New Year.....grand pub, seemingly though the only business they are getting is from the Chinese next door??

Would not be surprised if the Sows Ear went as well.....

Brgds
    Johnny

There must be a dozen pubs been rumoured to be closing down at this stage! Which won't happen obviously. I'd be surprised if Morans went now, they have the Chinese custom, and the Liverpool Supporters Club to keep em ticking over. Though the way Liverpool are going lately the two's success could be directly related.

There must be a dozen pubs been rumoured to be closing down at this stage! Which won't happen obviously. I'd be surprised if Morans went now, they have the Chinese custom, and the Liverpool Supporters Club to keep em ticking over. Though the way Liverpool are going lately the two's success could be directly related.

We must have the same people talking to us about pubs! Heard the same regarding Morans and Liverpool Club.

Friend was in Tierneys and was told they're not closing it down although they have heard the rumours. Don't know what to make of that, staff probably wouldn't have been told only owners would make decisions like that.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

wha?? Mr youknowwho do something underhand like that??? no! no! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Friend was in Tierneys and was told they're not closing it down although they have heard the rumours. Don't know what to make of that...

? Are you surprised that idle gossip might turn out to not in fact be true ?

Advertisement