Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Guess which 3 Clonmel Pubs are gonna shut next Thread!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

A lot of rumours flying around at the moment but heres what i know/heard/beleive etc...
    although like everyone else mostly guess work

Mulchays - well the pub itself is trading fine the problem there is higgins has the premises tied up as security for loans and at the moment he has a huge amount of empty houses, retail units and commercial units around town that are sitting empty and is using mulcahys income to keep up the loan repayments on these. Rumour has it staff are on protective notice!!!

Morans - no chance of closing i doubt theres a mortagage as its been in the family for many a year. Liverpool supporters club and the chinese next door tops up there reguler trade.

Chawkes - no chance too populer good trade nice place.

Posthouse - The pub does good business at the weekend with their late bar and the restaurent helps to keep the income flowing when the pub trade is really quite during the week.

Kehoes - staying with us but i can never understand their closed door policy not exactly a very public house

Tiernays - trade seems dead can see him retiring and i doubt anybody would buy the place in the current climate

Devanes - i would put my money on this place closing they dont open during the week at night. However when they took the business over they seemed to have got rid of their reguler customers seemingly including the darts team which is shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

A lot of rumours flying around at the moment but heres what i know/heard/beleive etc...
    although like everyone else mostly guess work

Mulchays - well the pub itself is trading fine the problem there is higgins has the premises tied up as security for loans and at the moment he has a huge amount of empty houses, retail units and commercial units around town that are sitting empty and is using mulcahys income to keep up the loan repayments on these. Rumour has it staff are on protective notice!!!

Morans - no chance of closing i doubt theres a mortagage as its been in the family for many a year. Liverpool supporters club and the chinese next door tops up there reguler trade.

Chawkes - no chance too populer good trade nice place.

Posthouse - The pub does good business at the weekend with their late bar and the restaurent helps to keep the income flowing when the pub trade is really quite during the week.

Kehoes - staying with us but i can never understand their closed door policy not exactly a very public house

Tiernays - trade seems dead can see him retiring and i doubt anybody would buy the place in the current climate

Devanes - i would put my money on this place closing they dont open during the week at night. However when they took the business over they seemed to have got rid of their reguler customers seemingly including the darts team which is shocking really.

All very logical qm, fairly accurate too I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ponster wrote: »
    ? Are you surprised that idle gossip might turn out to not in fact be true ?

I'm not saying it's true. It's 'idle gossip' not information straight from the owners' mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Most pubs seem to be feeling the pinch these days, but i'd think Tiernays could well be one to watch - have been on the back foot for quite some time now! was there two years back for a few Christmas pints the staff outnumbered us at one stage!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Muls was in trouble from the owner playing monoply during the crazy boom times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The latest I've heard.
    Tierney's = Someone told me he had a sign on the front door saying,''I'm not closing down'':)
    Mulls = Staff on protective notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

well theres a rumour that mr higgins is closin down dunno how true it is but sure???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I heard the man himself went awol for a while...but you know Clonmel....They would say mass for ya:D

I see a notice of application for a new on licence for Lonergans pub O'Connell street in todays Nationalist..bottom of page 2 if you are having a look:D...Maybe good news on the way for a change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

Don't care if they all close. Drink is a waste of money anyway. Fires and pints are very seductive but very short lasting. Prefer to buy clothes or something that lasts more than a few hours. Friend used to work with a non drinking man who said "publican has your money now and you have your piss"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

hopefully gleesons will be one of them. what a dirty kip. and richie gleeson. what a know it all. its sickening.

• Advertisement

tom thum wrote: »
    hopefully gleesons will be one of them. what a dirty kip. and richie gleeson. what a know it all. its sickening.

Have to disagree somewhat. They're doing a great trade when I'm in there (some weekends) and think it's a fine pub. I think it's a decent enough pub to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I always enjoyed the music sessions in Gleesons any time i was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Did someone have a bad night in Gleesons last night???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'm the same, I love the craic in Gleesons

I was in Carey's on Paddy's day.....Great buzz...great pints of the black stuff....Ma Ryans was good too...I just took a day off from the recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

tippspur wrote: »
    I always enjoyed the music sessions in Gleesons any time i was in there.
    i htink the music is brill too. but why does he leave his clients to go out into the cold to see the bands when theres plenty of room inside???? doesnt make sense to me. especially in the middle of winter.

i htink the music is brill too. but why does he leave his clients to go out into the cold to see the bands when theres plenty of room inside???? doesnt make sense to me. especially in the middle of winter.

They've (the bands) had been playing indoors for ages. A couple of weeks ago, Fuse, played outdoors for the first time in a good while. During Winter: inside. As weather gets good: move outside. IMO.

Advertisement