Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Cold?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

A stupid question I know..:o

But what is cold? This morning when I got out of bed, I felt cold. Nothing unusual there, but I couldn't figure out what why I was feeling cold. :confused:

Easy answer would be that cold is the lack of heat. But I am not satisfied with that answer. When I say I am cold, I know I am cold, but I can't explain what a "cold" feeling is, I just know it is cold.

Is cold an actual physical force? It can drain the will to be motivated, the will to live even; it can drain the life out of batteries, freeze up cars, but can the actual force of cold be explained? :confused:

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Non scientific answer.
    Its the difference between your 'skins surface' temperature and the ambeient temperature. If its a negative difference its call cold, positive difference is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I have actually found that you can decide not to be cold in some situations. Like if my apartment is chilly I just decide that the sensation I am feeling is not a negative one and just ignore it.

Saying that, much harder to do with a biting wind or rain, or anything more extreme than mildly uncomfortable.

Advertisement