Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Boyle and Lunchtime With Eamonn Keane

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sick of listening to Dozy Dan, with his usual dispassionate, monotone ramblings and excuse making. We voted this guy OUT the last time. Of course, with our stupid system, he is rewarded with a 70k a year job so that he can have a run at getting his seat back in 2012. Yet, Eamonn Keane still has him on very frequently to talk on various political issues.

Today, for example, Eamonn Keane asked him to bring the issue of people's houses being repossessed "to the Cabinet table". As usual, Dan muttered some flimsy answer, that would put you asleep more so than directly address the question. Am I missing something with this guy? The text-to-speech tool has my PC delivers with more passion.

To be honest, I lost complete respect for the Greens when Sargent pulled the "I wont lead my party into government with Fianna Fail" stunt last time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I feel sorry for you having to listen to Eamon Keane, very sorry.
    When you say you voted him out last election, are you a constituent of his?
    Why did Keane ask Boyle to bring the issue of home repossessions to the 'cabinet table', surely Keane should know that Boyle isn't the cabinet table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'm sick of listening to Dozy Dan, with his usual dispassionate, monotone ramblings and excuse making.
    Switch off the radio then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

To be honest, I lost complete respect for the Greens when Sargent pulled the "I wont lead my party into government with Fianna Fail" stunt last time.

+1

It's completely beyond me why some commentators give credit to Sargent for "sticking to his principles" in this regard. He said he wouldn't lead the Greens into coalition with Fianna Fáil, so instead he stood aside for a new party leader, then voted for the party's participation in the same coalition and took a junior ministerial post in the resulting government.

As a self-serving hypocritical contortion, it's up there with the bishops' use of "mental reservation"

gizmo555 wrote: »
    +1

It's completely beyond me why some commentators give credit to Sargent for "sticking to his principles" in this regard. He said he wouldn't lead the Greens into coalition with Fianna Fáil, so instead he stood aside for a new party leader, then voted for the party's participation in the same coalition and took a junior ministerial post in the resulting government.

As a self-serving hypocritical contortion, it's up there with the bishops' use of "mental reservation"

I think that's what's called politics folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

imme wrote: »
    I think that's what's called politics folks.

I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be surprised that Sargent did what he did - what mystifies me is why so many commentators regard it as a rare example of a politican acting out of high-minded principle, rather than the hypocritical opportunism it really was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be surprised that Sargent did what he did - what mystifies me is why so many commentators regard it as a rare example of a politican acting out of high-minded principle, rather than the hypocritical opportunism it really was.
    That baffles me too

I really don't see the difference

If he had integrity then he'd just leave the party

Probably slightly off-topic anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm sick of listening to Dozy Dan, with his usual dispassionate, monotone ramblings and excuse making. We voted this guy OUT the last time. Of course, with our stupid system, he is rewarded with a 70k a year job so that he can have a run at getting his seat back in 2012. Yet, Eamonn Keane still has him on very frequently to talk on various political issues.

Today, for example, Eamonn Keane asked him to bring the issue of people's houses being repossessed "to the Cabinet table". As usual, Dan muttered some flimsy answer, that would put you asleep more so than directly address the question. Am I missing something with this guy? The text-to-speech tool has my PC delivers with more passion.

Reminds me of Ken Early from off the ball;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I feel sorry for you having to listen to Eamon Keane, very sorry.

Well I cant stand Ronan Collins and haven been able to find anything better. Any suggestions?
    When you say you voted him out last election, are you a constituent of his?

We, the irish people, chose not to elect him. It wasn necessarily the point that I, myself, hadnt voted for him.
    Why did Keane ask Boyle to bring the issue of home repossessions to the 'cabinet table', surely Keane should know that Boyle isn't the cabinet table.

Yeah thought it was a bit odd, but I think he was giving Dan Boyle a bit of an ego boost (i.e. that he would be taken seriously at the cabinet table). He always gives newtalk interviews, so Eamonn is usually less than critical of Dan himself.

Well I cant stand Ronan Collins and haven been able to find anything better. Any suggestions?

We, the irish people, chose not to elect him. It wasn necessarily the point that I, myself, hadnt voted for him.

Yeah thought it was a bit odd, but I think he was giving Dan Boyle a bit of an ego boost (i.e. that he would be taken seriously at the cabinet table). He always gives newtalk interviews, so Eamonn is usually less than critical of Dan himself.

why not try Lyric as an antidote, or the Lunchtime show on Today FM, or Spin.
    There are plenty of powerful people in Ireland that nobody elects.

Personally I can't stand Eamon Keane:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

As regards who did or did not elect Dan Boyle - I live in Limerick and I feel as though I suffer as much as anyone else..... These days the print and transmission media can very effectively broadcast his aimless inanities and prolifically puerile points across the Land - So who is safe?

Mind you I don't have to live with the daily horror some of his constituents are faced with where they get continuous flashbacks of putting that X in the Dan Boyle box, their skin crawls and they feel unclean even after 6 Brillo pad showers.

As for Eamonn Keane - well to be honest if Dan Boyle is on Newstalk with Keane as many times as that and happily returning each time then Keane cannot be asking him tough questions on the Green Party, its vapid policies, ruined reputations, its ridiculous role in Government, its betrayal of the Irish Electorate, its failure to deliver its pre-election promises and most of all how scarily and low they are prepared to go for those wages and those pensions....

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    As regards who did or did not elect Dan Boyle - I live in Limerick (1) and I feel as though I suffer as much as anyone else.....

As for Eamonn Keane - well to be honest if Dan Boyle is on Newstalk with Keane as many times as that and happily returning each time then Keane cannot be asking him tough questions on the Green Party, its vapid policies, ruined reputations, its ridiculous role in Government, its betrayal of the Irish (
    (2)
    ) Electorate, its failure to deliver its pre-election promises and most of all how scarily and low they are prepared to go for those wages and those pensions....
    (1) so you've got Wee Willie O'Dea to answer for :eek:
    (2) are the Greens more to blame for the current situation than FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Someone texted in calling Keane a "Tory", him from Listowel, it didn't go down very well I suspect.

Advertisement