Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pedestrian crossing outside Garvey's pub

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Motorists don't pay any heed of the red light, it's pretty annoying. i may well introduce my steel-toe-cap boots to somebody's front bumper before long. it's a sad situation when the green man comes on and you still have to check that you're not about to get mowed down by some idiot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'm sure at least one motorist has stopped for said red light. Do we really need another pedestrian/cyclist v's motorist scrimmage in the GC forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The whole intersection is a joke: who ever dreamt of having traffic from roads at 90-degrees to each other having a green light at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

I'm sure at least one motorist has stopped for said red light. Do we really need another pedestrian/cyclist v's motorist scrimmage in the GC forum?

yes, because i of course meant that EVERY SINGLE CAR does the same thing.

I mis read the title and thought it was about a specific pedestrian.

It is a dangerous junction - thankfully cars don't have much chance to go fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Motorists don't pay any heed of the red light, it's pretty annoying. i may well introduce my steel-toe-cap boots to somebody's front bumper before long. it's a sad situation when the green man comes on and you still have to check that you're not about to get mowed down by some idiot

That is not true.

Motorists do pay heed. Some of them choose not to which happens in every town in the country

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    That is not true.

Motorists do pay heed. Some of them choose not to which happens in every town in the country

Some of them * A hell of a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's an odd place for a red light, at the exit of a junction. They should move it to Foxes, but then you have the cars/buses coming from the station.
    There are 3 ways in to that junction and many take that exit, the drivers are busy just trying not to hit each other, can't keep an eye on the light too :p

Magnus wrote: »
    It's an odd place for a red light, at the exit of a junction. They should move it to Foxes, but then you have the cars/buses coming from the station.
    There are 3 ways in to that junction and many take that exit, the drivers are busy just trying not to hit each other, can't keep an eye on the light too :p

that's a fair point. but you still see people driving on even when they're well aware someone's trying to cross, i've seen a few near-misses, as well as people revving their engines when someone's crossing and the light is still red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Like the vast majority in Galway this is just a stupid and badly designed/laid out junction. The lights are right on top of the turn so as you come around the corner at Garverys you need to be looking 10 feet up in the air to see the lights. That leaves jay walkers, other traffic, pedistrians, cyclists and badly parked ignorant taxi drivers at fates mercy as to wheather you hit them. Drivers (especially those not from Galway, xmas shoppers etc) have a hell of a lot of things to be watching out for at this corner. Not much better coming from the docks/Merchants road direction. Its hard to see these lights as there is already another set right in front of the Meyrick blocking them, not to mention sign posts, trees/hedges and the fact that the lights at Garverys face directly up towards the bus station. You cannot see them until you have come around the corner, looking 10 feet upwards while you send Grannies, cyclists and push prams flying like skittles in front of you. The crossing/lights should be further up the road towards Fibbers IMO.

Galway bloody corporation! I swear a one eyed chimp with a pencil between its teeth could plan better junctions then those muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

What's even more fun is the idiot drivers beeping at me (hopefully not quite so much of an idiot?) for not driving over/through pedestrians at that crossing.

I'm going to get a second horn installed on my car that plays the macarena as retribution. Just watch me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the system pre eyre square re design farce was fine, should have left it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I've seen a number of tips at that corner so I'm always very wary going through it... which is a lot more often now since they changed Lough Atalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not much better coming from the docks/Merchants road direction. Its hard to see these lights as there is already another set right in front of the Meyrick blocking them, ... and the fact that the lights at Garverys face directly up towards the bus station. You cannot see them until you have come around the corner, looking 10 feet upwards while you send Grannies, cyclists and push prams flying like skittles in front of you.

That's the weirdest bit: any reasonable driver from out of town will assume that if they get a green outside the Meyrick that:

1) no one coming from the Railway station (or Frenchville lane for that matter) will have a green too, and

2) they are clear to go all the way through the intersection.

But no .. the 2nd set of lights means that they may be expected to stop again, in the middle of the intersection.

Whenever I pick up out-of-town visitors from the station, we always pause at the intersection for a good hard look at how inane it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Its easy to miss the red light, especially if you're just after getting the green light from foxes or the Meyrick. Whats the point of driving 10 yards between traffic lights. Just get rid of the lights on the pedestrian crossing and leave the other lights red for longer.

Malfunction Junction imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

that's a fair point. but you still see people driving on even when they're well aware someone's trying to cross, i've seen a few near-misses, as well as people revving their engines when someone's crossing and the light is still red.

I'm finding this at almost every ped crossing I come to lately, I don't know why but some drivers just insist on ploughing through, like the beemer bollocks who sped up after the light went red and the green man had light up so that he could get through before I crossed the road. He also purposefully drove through a puddle to soak me. I dislike this man intensely.

Another day I was at the crossing outside Dunnes (on the headford road?) and some twat sped through the green man in the middle of the two lanes, while talking on her phone. I also dislike this woman an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I'm finding this at almost every ped crossing I come to lately, I don't know why but some drivers just insist on ploughing through, like the beemer bollocks who sped up after the light went red and the green man had light up so that he could get through before I crossed the road. He also purposefully drove through a puddle to soak me. I dislike this man intensely.

Wonder if this is the same man i saw nearly go insane with rage at this junction... someone cut in front of him and he held his hand on the horn, while rolling down the window screaming abuse!! talk about overreacting!! get over it its xmas shopping traffic..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Motorists don't pay any heed of the red light, it's pretty annoying.
    I do when I'm down, and I don't live in Galway anymore. No excuse for locals.
    i may well introduce my steel-toe-cap boots to somebody's front bumper before long. it's a sad situation when the green man comes on and you still have to check that you're not about to get mowed down by some idiot
    If someone has to jam on the breaks because they aren't heeding the red light, by all means give them a boot for being a mong.
    Not the nicest piece of road with all the taxis and drunks spilling across the road.
    Xiney wrote: »
    What's even more fun is the idiot drivers beeping at me (hopefully not quite so much of an idiot?) for not driving over/through pedestrians at that crossing.

I'm going to get a second horn installed on my car that plays the macarena as retribution. Just watch me.

Awesome, post links to source.
    As per Kharn's idea, Quake3 - Humiliation

Advertisement