Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ar feadh

• 15-12-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm a little bewildered about the compound prep' "ar feadh".
    Basically in bbc's "blas" it says that ar feadh means "for" as in...

"Bhí mé sa Spáinn, ar feadh seachtaine"- I was in spain for a week

but my Irish grammar book by nollaig mac congáil says it means "during"

"ar feadh an lae"

I've also read in my dictionary it means "throughout":mad:

assistance needed :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

during, for and throughout.

they all mean the same thing really and ar feadh can be used for all of them and used in many other phrases.

for more info search ''feadh'' in http://www.irishdictionary.ie/dictionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a little bewildered about the compound prep' "ar feadh".
    Basically in bbc's "blas" it says that ar feadh means "for" as in...

"Bhí mé sa Spáinn, ar feadh seachtaine"- I was in spain for a week

but my Irish grammar book by nollaig mac congáil says it means "during"

"ar feadh an lae"

I've also read in my dictionary it means "throughout":mad:

assistance needed :D

Simplest wayto explain this is that "ar feadh" refers to a definite duration. For example if you have been learning music for the last five years and continue to do so it would be more correct to say "le";
    Táim ag foghlaim an cheoil le cúig bliana anuas
    But he played throughout the day and then stopped;
    Bhí sé ag seinm ag feadh an lae.

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Simplest wayto explain this is that "ar feadh" refers to a definite duration. For example if you have been learning music for the last five years and continue to do so it would be more correct to say "le";
    Táim ag foghlaim an cheoil le cúig bliana anuas
    But he played throughout the day and then stopped;
    Bhí sé ag seinm ag feadh an lae.

Ag? are you sure? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'm sure Ceilteach meant "ar feadh" rather than "ag feadh" as "ag feadh" is wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

That was prob a typo Conchubhar... I'm sure Ceilteach meant 'ar'?

I think that describing 'ar feadh' as meaning a 'definite duration' is a very good way of explaining that meaning of it.

For example I was writing something to someone a while back and I actually wrote 'cuirfidh mé r-phost chugat ar feadh na seachtaine'... and obviously in this context where I meant 'I will send you an email during the week', the 'during' should in this case should have been translated as 'i rith'.

Hope that helps a bit as well Jay.

• Advertisement

Mea culpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    "ar feadh" cinnte

coolio - thought it was another of those instances where I think I have a grasp of grammar and wham:(
    :)

coolio - thought it was another of those instances where I think I have a grasp of grammar and wham:(
    :)

No, just one of those instances where i think i have a grasp of the keyboard and then WHAM!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Nice one guys, this really cleared things up!! I'll post here again if I've got another problem with this!
    Ceilteach wrote:
    Mea culpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eek.gif
    "ar feadh" cinnte

phew, you scared me for a sec! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

As others have already mentioned, for is a bit of a misleading translation of ar feadh (although it's not incorrect), since for can mean multiple things in English, depending on context. For the length/duration of would be a clearer and more exact translation of ar feadh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement