Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folk Metal??

• 15-12-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been discussed before. What do people think about Folk Metal? I personally Love alot of the Scandinavian Metal. So its hard not to like some Folk metal bands that have the blackmetal / death metal influence. From what I have noticed in this forum alot of metal fans only seem to stick to Death and Trash metal. So any takers on this Genre or any other recommendation on some Folk metal bands.

To name but just a few, Some amazing bands:

Eluveitie - Amazing band and even better Live!!
    Ensiferum/Tuarisas/Finntroll - Probably the most popular, But Ensiferum's older albums are amazing with Jari(now of wintersun)
    Skyclad - One of the First in alot of peoples eyes Great Band!!!
    Windir & Falkenbach- Two of my favourite bands ever!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been discussed before. What do people think about Folk Metal? I personally Love alot of the Scandinavian Metal. So its hard not to like some Folk metal bands that have the blackmetal / death metal influence. From what I have noticed in this forum alot of metal fans only seem to stick to Death and Trash metal. So any takers on this Genre or any other recommendation on some Folk metal bands.

To name but just a few, Some amazing bands:

Eluveitie - Amazing band and even better Live!!
    Ensiferum/Tuarisas/Finntroll - Probably the most popular, But Ensiferum's older albums are amazing with Jari(now of wintersun)
    Skyclad - One of the First in alot of peoples eyes Great Band!!!
    Windir & Falkenbach- Two of my favourite bands ever!!!!

Was the first name that came into my head when I saw the thread title.

Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth and A Burnt Offering For The Bone Idol are great listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Mithothyn *nod*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Turisas, probably the only "folk" metal i listen to..

I guess i fit into your earlier generalisation OP, in that I stick mainly to thrash and death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The Irish are the kings of it these days really..

Primordial
    Geasa
    Cruachán

The best folk metal is basically metal with a Celtic sound and Celtic instrumentation, and in order to not make that sound cheesy as hell you'd want to be Irish or you nd up sounding like Finntroll (who only get away with it because it's funny and because they're drssed up as Orks). See also : Pirate Metal, which is the same only with accordions and hornpipes instead of fiddles and laments / reels.

Is there any decent Breton folk-metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Primordial
    Geasa
    Cruachán

The best folk metal is basically metal with a Celtic sound and Celtic instrumentation, and in order to not make that sound cheesy as hell you'd want to be Irish or you nd up sounding like Finntroll (who only get away with it because it's funny and because they're drssed up as Orks). See also : Pirate Metal, which is the same only with accordions and hornpipes instead of fiddles and laments / reels.

Is there any decent Breton folk-metal?

Athlough I agree that Primordial, Geasa & Cruachán are great bands, I have to say you obviously havent listen to much of Eluveitie or Skyclad or any serious Folk bands apart from the Drinking troll music! I would seriously recommend Listening to Eluveitie "Slania " or any of Windir for that matter:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well, I came into the thread to recommend Eluveitie and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. They really are a fantastic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Korpiklaani!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Partial to a bit of Folk Metal m'self. I'll have to chime in with two of my faves here, Wolfchant and Vintersorg. Two different kinds of sweet epicness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Hey all!

Scandinavian metal/death metal is my favorite genres of music so I said I had to check out the bands listed here. Thanks for the suggestions! This stuff is rock solid, Iv been up all night listening to it and will be up for a few hours more me thinks :)

Iv always loved primordial doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

rgt320q wrote: »

I must say that's a side of Vintersorg I've never heard, I've only got one of their albums but it's definitely not folk metal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

I must say that's a side of Vintersorg I've never heard, I've only got one of their albums but it's definitely not folk metal!
    It's from their first album. The first two were in the pagan/folk metal style before they switched to the more progressive/space-y one. I think with the new album he's found a good mix between the two sounds.

And on another note, how the hell could I forget Equilibrium! And Kroda! Again, two fairly different styles of folk metal. Y'know, I've never got why most people assume every folk metal band sounds like Finntroll, there's a fair bit of diversity to the genre, as evidence by this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

rgt320q wrote: »

And on another note, how the hell could I forget Equilibrium! And Kroda! Again, two fairly different styles of folk metal. Y'know, I've never got why most people assume every folk metal band sounds like Finntroll, there's a fair bit of diversity to the genre, as evidence by this thread.

Well F*ckin' said my friend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Primordial
    Geasa
    Cruachán
    Never mind folk metal, Primordial have become one of the best metal bands around, full stop. Their last two albums in particular are fantastic.

Waylander are very good too:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Shangren do it for me, but as yet an Australian band in early seed. Hope they surface in full ceremony in 2010. (Forgive the minimalist video.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

One band I love is Hollenthon, particularly their album With Vilest of Worms to Dwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i remember a set by Primordial when i went to a Synapse show in the Fox & Pheasant back in '93 they had black candles, more black metal then. funny how all those irish metal groups fell by the wayside bar the folksy ones. if i sling a flute into my set n have some elves morris dancing will germans pay my way i oft wonder

- Sabbat were/are the best i reckon, Martin Walkyier was a great frontman Skyclad the folk elements were a little forced but more.. obvious i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

The survival of Irish Folk Metal is hardly anything to do with deep unconscious "not British" motivation of common Gael approval?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

ask yourself a question. What defines folk and what defines metal. I dont think bamds like Primordial/geasa/Cruachan come anywhere near a folk element. Primordial are the biggest wanabees in the genre. They have renounced black metal in favour of limp metal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Primordial are neither folk metal nor black metal, but who cares which genre you can slot them into? Just enjoy the music.

Recently got into this band, Arkona. Their stuff is simply brilliant.

edit: Ah, just noticed Ronan Raven got there ahead of me, I should pay more attention :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

well Primordial were black metal that night! their wiki entry lists them as black metal but since i never cared for it, what do i know

i dunno man there very little metal about arkona bar some kickdrum doubling up and feeble treble on a guitar.. i hear this kind of stuff is part of the school curriculum in scandinavia. i dunno bout all that viking stuff but how bout if i wear animal fur about my neck and drink from a tankard, could i then be 'folk' metal?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sabiansoldier

Korpiklaani! Turisas! Finntroll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Korpiklaani.....I really love these guys. They know how to party!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

As long as its more metal than folk I like it. Forefather are a phenomenal band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Forefather are class all right. I can't see them topping Steadfast to be honest.

Askival:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Black Messiah:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Denny M wrote: »
    One band I love is Hollenthon, particularly their album With Vilest of Worms to Dwell.

I <3 Hollenthon but theres not many folk elements in their music. More symphonic/death. Sorry for the genre nit picking :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nightwish wrote: »
    I <3 Hollenthon but theres not many folk elements in their music. More symphonic/death. Sorry for the genre nit picking :P
    That's the downside of metal, there is too many genres, it's next to impossible to get anything 100% right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

What's next ... country metal ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Moonsorrow.
    Finntroll.
    Turisas.

& most definitly Elvenking! (give Pagan Purity a listen)

All great :D

Advertisement