Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danish or Pain aux Raisin?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I was in a cafe recently and i asked for a pain aux raisin, the waitress looked at me blankly, my two year old said "a swirly croissant" and she said oh you mean a Danish.

I didn't think I meant a Danish, I thought I meant the thing on display that looked and tasted like a pain aux raisin.

when is something a danish and when is it a pain aux raisin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Somethings Danish when you're a noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Danishes (that I'm aware of) are usually what is a pan au raisin - I'm not sure why but they're called fruit danishes here. Most people probably wouldn't know pan au raisin as the name for it. Heck I call it a danish :)

So fruit danishes or danishes similar are like this
    danishFruitDanish.jpg

Pan au chocolat are usually
    411687252_16018c5d6a.jpg

edit - sorry I'm making a pigs ear of this thread lol
    So basically if you google a raisin danish, you get something that looks like a pan au raisin.
    The names mean the same thing really, pan au raisin - bread with raisins, fruit/raisin danish = specific style pastry/bread with raisins.

So it's just a name thing really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Danish is a type of sweet yeast dough, that is laminated, or folded, similar to puff pastry, to make it light and flaky. "Pain aux raisin" is a pastry made either with danish or laminated brioche dough (either way, both are sweet yeast doughs) and raisins. A "Danish" is just a pastry made from danish dough. It can have many inclusions (e.g. raisins) or fillings (e.g. pastry cream).

You can get away with asking for croissants or pain aux chocolat in most cafés, but I wouldn't bother asking for anything else using their French names, it sounds kind of pompous and the waiter probably won't understand you. In this case, I'd just ask for a "raisin swirl."

Advertisement