Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bitcomet settings for AVG

• 15-12-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the proper settings to use in Bitcomet so it will scan all downloads with AVG after completion?? I have tried various suggestions but can never get them to work. I am using Bitcomet v. 1.6 and AVG free edition 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Does anyone know the proper settings to use in Bitcomet so it will scan all downloads with AVG after completion?? I have tried various suggestions but can never get them to work. I am using Bitcomet v. 1.6 and AVG free edition 9
    cant you just set AVG to monitor your downloads folder like a hawk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

You should also consider changing clients over to something like utorrent, as bitcomet is blocked by alot of trackers because of its superseeding protocols.

uTorrent is also a lot lighter on resources, and much more configurable ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Thanks Ryan, however all the info I can find says utorrent superseeds and bitcomet doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_software

The one claim he verified as partially correct was that, "BitComet is a poor peer due to no upload slot control; upload bandwidth is stretched too thin". Topolski's tests indicated that BitComet does lack upload slot control, but only when BitComet is initially seeding a torrent—that is, when BitComet is the only seeding peer in a swarm, it tends to seed less efficiently than the two other clients he tested. Topolski asserts that when BitComet is not the only seeding peer in the swarm, or when it is a non-seeding peer, upload slot control is managed exceptionally well.

Looks like only 1 criticism is half proved though

• Advertisement

I would put money on it that artice has been edited. I have the latest verion of utorrent at home, and im 99% sure its not superseeding, the reason i say this is that i am on a few private trackers who have extreemly stict policys and i've never had any issues. Also, when your looking at the tracker for whatever you are downloading look at the rules and eceptions to check that bitcomet isn't blocked or throttled.

Ryan this is from the user manual of utorrent

µTorrent User Manual > Chapter 01: Introduction to µTorrent Features List

Although compact and resource-friendly, µTorrent does not skimp on features, with a feature set that rivals those of larger clients, such as Azureus, BitComet, and BitTornado. µTorrent's more notable features include:
    • Bandwidth limiter (automatic and manual)
    • Customizable interface
    • Disk Cache system
    • Distributed Hash Table (DHT) support
    • Download bar
    • Download scheduler
    • Embedded tracker
    • HTTPS tracker support
    • Initial Seeding (Super Seeding)
    • IP Blocklist support
    • Local Peer Discovery (LPD)
    • Local Tracker Discovery
    • Localization
    • Magnet URI support
    • Micro Transport Protocol (uTP) support
    • Multi-scrape support
    • Multi-torrent interface with queueing support
    • NAT Port Mapping Protocol (NAT-PMP) support
    • NAT Traversal through UDP hole punching (uTP only)
    • Peer Exchange
    • Protocol Encryption
    • Proxy support
    • RSS "Broadcatching"
    • Search bar
    • Selective file downloading
    • Unicode support
    • Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support
    • Web Interface
    • Web Seeding support

Thanks for that. I'm guessing its just tured off by default then? I'll have to check it out later on.

So back to the original question, anyone know the settings?

Besides monitoring the downloads folder no. You need to be careful of what youre downloading. I assume its nothing illegal so what do you have to worry about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just out of asking, and i'm not saying to to be any way smart. Have you tried the AVG forums? The reason i ask is im sure this is not the first time the question has been asked before, and i would be really supprised if this feature is not present in the software.

Anti wrote: »
    Just out of asking, and i'm not saying to to be any way smart. Have you tried the AVG forums? The reason i ask is im sure this is not the first time the question has been asked before, and i would be really supprised if this feature is not present in the software.

yes they give you the following , but it doesn't work

:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\AVGSCANX.exe
    Parameters:
    /scan=%f ext=* /arc /clean

And i guess you created a .bat file and put in all the proper parameters? like folder location? Still no luck ? What OS and version of AVG are you using?

And i guess you created a .bat file and put in all the proper parameters? like folder location? Still no luck ? What OS and version of AVG are you using?

No there is an anti virus setting in the bitcomet options where you enter the details of the program and parameters.

Using windows 7 and avg 9

maybe theres a featureset on another BT client that would scan files for you?

Not to worry, AVG still scans the download folder, but just thought it would have been good to have it setup using the settings. Still AVG does a good job as soon as the file is saved to the folder it checks.

Thanks everyone anyway.

Advertisement