Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT - Donegal Town - where is it?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Where, exactly is the test centre?
    There's a useless map on the NCT website, which says it's on the M56! New motorway through Donegal Town :D.

So I guess that should be the N56, which is the bypass round to Killybegs, but then it shows it's on the same road as McGroartys TV Centre, but isn't that on the R267, heading out from the Diamond?

I haven't been down that way in a few years, so any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Coming from Donegal town you head out the Killybegs road. Its about one mile out on the left hand side behind the Texaco filling station. It's almost next door to McGroartys TV Centre.
    How did you manage to get a test appointment? My dad was checking out the 3 centers in Donegal online a few weeks back and there were no free slots in either centre up until the end of January. Is it really that busy or was the NCT website not working right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thanks for that, especially as I've to head there in 30mins!
    I'm actually in Letterkenny, but I had to book Donegal Town, as it was the quickest slot I could get! Booked it about 10 weeks ago :eek:

At the time, Letterkenny centre was booked until end of February!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Very easy not to see it, as it's right behind the texaco garage.

If you're in a rush to get the NCT and you've a few days off, ring every morning around 8:30 and tell them where you can go, you'll get a cancellation handy enough, that day or later. I've done this 3 times, never booking way in advance again!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

http://www.ncts.ie/locations/maps/donegal.html M56, Motorway to Killybegs...

M56, Motorway to Killybegs...

:D

Found the place, although I did drive past it!
    I thought there would be a road, somewhere past the texaco station, to drive behind petrol station. I didn't realise you have to drive through the stations forecourt to get to it. No harm done, I was still 15 minutes early.

Talking to a guy whose car was also getting tested. Said he rang up last week, and just asked for a cancellation, as he could get to the centre anytime! He was also offered Letterkenny, which I couldn't get!

Ah well, the yoke passed, so the Mrs is all happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm in letterkenny but had my last 3 tests in Donegal town, the wait for LKY is ridiculous. If you keep checking the website everyday you will get an appointment within a month or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

mrmac wrote: »
    :I thought there would be a road, somewhere past the texaco station, to drive behind petrol station. I didn't realise you have to drive through the stations forecourt to get to it.

Delighted to hear someone else saying this! Thought I was being a right girl when I did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

deemark wrote: »
    Delighted to hear someone else saying this! Thought I was being a right girl when I did it!

Doctor, doctor, I think Im getting bird flu.... Im starting to talk bollx and I cant park the car (you started it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Back on topic please.

ok... the directions, and instructions for accessing the Donegal Town NCT are nothing short of abismal. There are no signs to direct clients into the test centre, and there is no pre-warning that all cars must have the under chassis power washed (available at the Texaco, but badly advertised)

But my biggest prblem with ALL nct centres policy, country-wide is this.... If a car does not qualify for the nct, ie. it is deemed unroadworthy, then by law it is uninsurable... a car has to have an nct in order to be insured (right or wrong?)... then how can the nct centre legally fail a car, and then have the driver drive it out of the centre and up the road, plus drive it around until the next date for the nct becomes available, which can take weeks.....is this car not technically uninsured until it passes the nct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good point. Someone may know the answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We are late re our test and no issues re insurance or tax.( unexpected house move due to flooding...)

The tax people had so many avoiding paying when they had such a backlog for the NCT that they declared an amnesty.

We have never been asked for an NCT cert when applying for either tax or insurance.

I know that that is not the original query; maybe it differs if a car has failed?

But it is surely the same as the anomaly that drivers who fail their driving test can get in the care and drive away?
    muffler wrote: »
    Good point. Someone may know the answer to this.

Graces7 wrote: »
    We have never been asked for an NCT cert when applying for either tax or insurance.

Same as that. It may be needed, but I've never been asked for it.

well in that case, if an accident occurs, does the insurance company take into account whether the vehicles involved had passed the nct or not... I remember hearing that they do? The Gardai do as far as I know... if the official accident report states that one or other of the cars didnt have the nct, then you can be sure that the insurance company will throw out any claim

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure; if there was a blatant fault with the car? eg bad brakes.

But the nct pass only applies to the day it was tested.

Would need to see what actually happens; nothing about it on our policy and there would be.

IF the car had failed and repairs not done then certainly so. That again is a different matter. .Then the fault is listed.
    well in that case, if an accident occurs, does the insurance company take into account whether the vehicles involved had passed the nct or not... I remember hearing that they do? The Gardai do as far as I know... if the official accident report states that one or other of the cars didnt have the nct, then you can be sure that the insurance company will throw out any claim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

AFAIK (seen it on the motor forum) NCT and Tax have nothing to do with a cars Insurance. A insurance company can state that the car must be roadworthy but Insurance regulations do not state a car needs to be NCT'd.

Advertisement