Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just looking at all these great recipes, thinking... it would be handy if I had a book of them, so I don't have to get sticky paws all over my laptop. We could nearly do one for chairdeee! I wonder would it make any money?
    Or failing that, just a handy print out formatted number so anyone can download and print them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

olaola wrote: »
    Just looking at all these great recipes, thinking... it would be handy if I had a book of them, so I don't have to get sticky paws all over my laptop. We could nearly do one for chairdeee! I wonder would it make any money?
    Or failing that, just a handy print out formatted number so anyone can download and print them off?

I was thinking about a charity book myself when we kicked off early in the year. I said I'd wait and see what the calibre of recipes were like and if there was the resources within boards to put it together relatively easily. I certainly think it could be a runner and will revisit it later in the year when we have a good bulk of material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The people to talk to are the Photography guys, who've produced a book or two themselves.

Wouldn't it be great to get on the bestseller list.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Week 23 is up.

I'm so far behind with this now! Must catch up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would if be a good idea to have a cooking club sub-forum.

As there are 23 recipes there now, which are getting bumped the whole time. As the recipe list grows, the front page will get more and more cluttered. Plus, have all 30/40/50 etc grouped together would make browsing them easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mellor wrote: »

As there are 23 recipes there now, which are getting bumped the whole time. As the recipe list grows, the front page will get more and more cluttered. Plus, have all 30/40/50 etc grouped together would make browsing them easier

+1. This is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was thinking about a charity book myself when we kicked off early in the year. I said I'd wait and see what the calibre of recipes were like and if there was the resources within boards to put it together relatively easily. I certainly think it could be a runner and will revisit it later in the year when we have a good bulk of material.

That is a great idea, although would there be copyright issues? People may be posting up recipes they have got from another cook book etc.

+1 Good thinking- It would be so handy to have them all together.

I'll discuss it with my Co-mods and then the Admin to see what they think. I reckon it's a good suggestion.
    watna wrote:
    That is a great idea, although would there be copyright issues? People may be posting up recipes they have got from another cook book etc.

It's a concern that would have to be addressed alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

watna wrote: »
    My recipe is from my own cookbook - "Prick with a Fork" (not yet published). :)
    Being the nice guy that I am - I'll gladly waive copyright if the book goes ahead. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can you copyright a recipe? Seems like there'd be too many variables.

BaZmO* wrote: »

I'd agree. Unless it was a chef's signature dish or a 'copy & paste' it would be hard for them to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

A list of ingredients and basic method cannot be copyright.

Someone could copyright the literature of which they described a recipe if it read more like a work of prose rather than a bog-standard recipe, but the recipe itself can be reproduced.

It's nice to attribute credit where credit is due, of course.

New forum created here folks. We'll be moving the threads across shortly :)

I got over-excited and moved them all :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I just noticed that I hadn't read through this thread properly until now!
    olaola wrote: »
    And photos... or else it didn't happen :)

Yes please! The more the merrier!
    Des wrote: »
    Well, the photography forum do that every year.

Once people don't post recipes that are ripped from some other cookbook, or if they do, we could exclude them from our book.

That would be a great idea. I'd definitely buy a couple of copies as gifts. And one for myself of course.

How come nobody thought of that before? :D Great idea.
    BaZmO* wrote: »

I don't think you can, unless it's copied word for word. There is a legal forum here on Boards somewhere. I'm sure they could confirm that.

Now, I know that a some people might know each other well from other forums, but does anyone else think that a Cooking Club Beers would be a good idea?

*Sigh*

Despite a PM reminder last week which they replied to, this weeks poster has clearly not posted a recipe and has not read my second (third really) PM reminder. Anyone up for posting a recipe at very short notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I've one for a ceaser salad if your intrested.

foodaholic wrote: »
    I've one for a ceaser salad if your intrested.

Go for it. Perfect weather for a good salad.

Sorry foodaholic, I've only just seen your post now. I got a PM from someone else who's in the process of putting up a recipe, but if you want to post yours too, there's no harm in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

whoops just posted it, 2 recipes this week so :D

Two recipes up this week :D. Thanks a million to both foodaholic and Hennybug for stepping up at such short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Stupid Goat arives stupidly late.
    Would you pop my name into the next available slot please.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

excuse me for being up since 4am sunday night,spending all day in derry yday for college interview and getting back late last night for not posting a recipe on a set day,didnt realise there was a set time limit for the cooking week

Now you do, no harm done.

No worries smallgarden. The PM I sent you had a link to the exact date you were due to post a recipe (21/06/2010) which I thought was clear enough, but perhaps you didn't check it. Anyway, we got two recipes this week instead, so I'd say everyone's happy.

Week 24 is a savage chilli.

After that week 25A, a Chicken Lasagne and week 25B, a Caeser Salad was posted.

Following this was a Crisp Pork Belly Salad with Mint and Coriander, week 26.

Week 27 was posted on Monday, a Jambalaya.

We're over 7 months in and I want to ensure the club continues. Myself and Mrs Magnolia have often wondered what we used to cook before the cooking club started as so many of the meals which are now regular dishes have to be credited from here. If you haven't tried one before just pick a recipe/week, cook it and let us know what you think. If you've missed out on a few just pick up the batton and start from where-ever. Enjoy!

Cooking Club

Week 28 is Chicken Stuffed with Goats Cheese and Spinach. Week 29 is a Venison Stew.

Week 30 is now up too, Pizza!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Week 33 is up....eventually! :)

Didn't realise it would take so long to put together so fairplay to all the others that have done a week.

Advertisement