Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Final fantasy, without a guide.

Options
  • 15-12-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

in certain FFs (im looking at you ff7) are you meant to be able to finish every single sidequest without any sort of guide?
    Having not tried, i dont know (can always finish the main story, but on secondary run thrus i like to see what i missed).

But some of the sidequests seem to have no indicators of how to finish them. One that springs to mind is the man in the cave when getting the four secret materia. you have to have fought like a multiple of eleven battles or something like this!? how could you ever figure this out? is there always someone in some town or village that springs to mind?

Again, in ff12, the zodiac spear "4 random chests" requirement, what the hell is that?!

so in conclusion, do u feel like yer cheatin using a guide for FF? Or do you just think its a neccessary tool to complete the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Thats actually a difficult one to answer. Problem with guide books is they give too much information...a full walkthrough.

Ideally there should be two types of guide books for FF games. One with a full walkthrough and other with just hints and guides for sidequests that you otherwise would not have found.

Google search forums for important things to look out for can help too...like ff12's the zodiac spear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

theorically,i'd say you can figure out every secrets in FF4-10 by keep playing and playing for maybe at least 200+hours (considering 100+hours is the time you needed to complete everything by follow a guide book:pac:on your first time playing the game of course). the secrets in FF series are awesome caused' they are all findable by a player without a guide.

example like ff7 's gold chocobo breeding will take you about at least 50hours extra to figure what green do you need and where to hunt etc - thats the fun part of it! back to days when no internet guide, everyone spends days and weeks or even months on 1 JRPG. another good thing usually in the FF series is you can always go back to complete/collect secret missions/items,yeah,unlike the @$#%^# FF12 and abit in FFX-2 as i can recall.

dont get me started on the zodiac spear, i usually read no guide beforehand to play rpg and that fcking spear really p*ssed me off - it is totally nonsense,it adds no replay value or fun to the game at all,who is gonna find this spear without a guide??i doubt that even at a 500hours playing time a normal player still wont be able to figure out that fcking spear.

all in all,i will still strictly obey my own code that no guide on the first play of any RPG:D play normal straight to the final boss (with some side quests maybe) ->to the point that your team can freely travel to any place just before the final boss stage ->beat the boss,watch the ending ->load back to the point before final boss and complete the game 100% with reading some guide.this way i found is probably the most time-efficient and can fully enjoy everything from the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    example like ff7 's gold chocobo breeding will take you about at least 50hours extra to figure what green do you need and where to hunt etc - thats the fun part of it!

There's a bloke in a hut in the snow continent that ever 20 minutes or so will mumble what green does what when breeding chocobos. Makes it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

seraphimvc wrote: »
    all in all,i will still strictly obey my own code that no guide on the first play of any RPG:D play normal straight to the final boss (with some side quests maybe) ->to the point that your team can freely travel to any place just before the final boss stage ->beat the boss,watch the ending ->load back to the point before final boss and complete the game 100% with reading some guide.this way i found is probably the most time-efficient and can fully enjoy everything from the game.

Thats how i usually play it myself...means you can go up against the secret bosses without making the storyline final boss a cake walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

carbonkid wrote: »
    Thats how i usually play it myself...means you can go up against the secret bosses without making the storyline final boss a cake walk.

+1!

i do the same. So there is ALWAYS a person SOMEWHERE which will give you SOME sort of info on a sidequest? still cant remember the someone sayin "oh yeah you hafta have fought xxx battles or the guy in the random cave wont blah blah.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Is there anything in IX telling you how to get Excalibur II? Actually, has anyone here actually gotten that weapon? I decided that's a quest too far, speedrunning a FF game would ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Mr. K wrote: »
    Is there anything in IX telling you how to get Excalibur II? Actually, has anyone here actually gotten that weapon? I decided that's a quest too far, speedrunning a FF game would ruin it.

Tried once, missed it by about 35 mins. haven't the heart to try again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a bloke in a hut in the snow continent that ever 20 minutes or so will mumble what green does what when breeding chocobos. Makes it much easier.
    ah ,even with hints from that guy - chocobo racing to get to Class S/A,travel time,fight monster get green time,50hours is still a very optimistic estimate,especial consider with no guide help,you will defo make some mistakes during the breeding process.oh, remember that black chocobo knight:pac: use up lotsa time in the racing to beat him.

fun time really!!and how awesome we then get the ultimate summon with gold chocobo:D but if i am gonna do it again one day i will have a guide beside me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

RedXIV wrote: »
    Tried once, missed it by about 35 mins. haven't the heart to try again :(

Kudos for trying, it's a crazy task!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Proud to say I got the knights of the round materia and gold chocobo without using a guide. Didn't have internet back then :P
    Excalibur 2 quest is nothing compared to the perfect games these otaku guys go for. I've seen videos of level 1 character completing the game, madness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Mr. K wrote: »
    There is no 'signposting' for the Excalibur II in Final Fantasy IX.

Also, if you're using the PAL version, you cannot get both the Excalibur II and a 'prefect' save file. You can in other versions since the frame rate is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I love some of the FF guides, the official ones like.

Piggyback to an excellent walkthrough, usually with all the secrets.

Their FFX guide is a work of art (GP currently has mine if you want a 2nd opinion!).

If there is one criticism of the game it is that there is always some stuff that you just couldn't find out on your own without a guide or the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Siegfried

Some quest are impossible without a guide, or at least pretty ****in hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

yeah, FF7 was right on the dawn of internet help.

I was proud to say I beat both Weapons in FF7 of my own back, for Emerald I tried tackle him without alot of the games best materia(which i didn't get yet: KFTR, final attack, W-materia or underwater) I beat him with limit breaks and defensive materia.

by ruby I had gotton my hands of KOTR and mime (and figured out howe to use them) and notices that He puts his arms in the ground once he was against one player, so I entered the fight with two players dead then revived them one the arms were in and I was safe from the quicksand attack, I then pretty much used W-KOTR and mimed, aswell as the same limit breaks and defensive materia I used on emerald.

Advertisement