Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With Animals

• 15-12-2009 4:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An animal can bring warmth and bonding into a family. Caring for animals is part of what makes up community spirit. Communities use animals for food and up to a few decades ago quite a lot for transport. Maintaining eco-systems for the good of the planet and for the good of tourism is an important consideration for our future. Having a pet animal that brings great fun also carries with it responsiblitiy for the animals wellbeing and at times animals end up being treated badly. Animals can be their own reward for volunteers.
    Dublin SPCA
    Irish SPCA
    nationwide SPCAs
    For nearly sixty years the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) has worked locally and nationally rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals. The ISPCA has continued to develop its facilities and staff functions in order to fulfil its core function, the rescue, rehabilitation and responsible rehoming of cruelly treated and neglected animals.

There are plenty of other volunteer opportunities in different aspects of animal welfare:
    volunteering.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

id like to start volenteering at an animal resue shelter for a few hours each week.could someone please tell me the closest one to ballyfermot is,
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I love animals. and hate cruelty to animals. I am going to look into this, I would love to volenteer

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

by any chance would anyone have any contact info for clondalkin animal aid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Is this it EASYbeingCHEESY?
    A couple more sites to volunteer with animals:
    Dublin Zoo
    Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

Hi,
    I'm 16 but have loads of experience with animals. I have many, many different pets, cats, dogs, rabbits, fish, etc, as well as hens, horses, every animal you could think of! I want to volunteer at the GSPCA during the Summer but they only take over 18s. Is there a reason for this? I'd really like to help out. Also, I want to be a Vet and this would be good experience. I'm also going to help out at my local surgery during the Summer.

So, if I explained this to them, would they accept me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

MaighEoAbu wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm 16 but have loads of experience with animals. I have many, many different pets, cats, dogs, rabbits, fish, etc, as well as hens, horses, every animal you could think of! I want to volunteer at the GSPCA during the Summer but they only take over 18s. Is there a reason for this? I'd really like to help out. Also, I want to be a Vet and this would be good experience. I'm also going to help out at my local surgery during the Summer.

So, if I explained this to them, would they accept me?

It's because everyone that works with under 18s have to be garda vetted and there are insurance issues

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Volunteer.ie under animals category does have some overlap with volunteering.ie but through it's network of volunteer centres has a few extra and maybe some of them will be more localised in different parts of the country.

Advertisement