Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stratagies to discourage smoking.

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Yo,
    I recently gave up smoking due to a click in my young brain, I now see the sheer retardedness of smoking. - Excuse the harsh term, but IMO thats what it is!
    Anyway, I've been off them for over a month and all is peachy so far. I was avoiding this thread since I do try and avoid smokes now but that is next to impossible in reality.

On with my point!
    I am curious if anyone has any good ideas on discouraging smokers from being just that & further more discourage anyone else from picking up the habit.
    I'm sure if you were to have a simple and small monitor that played several severe anti smoking ads, in smoking areas, that played for the duration the smoker is in the area. - I found some of those anti smoking ads to be very effective. A simple Example

I'm sure many would find this very irritating but non the less, anything that is anti smoking is just.

I'm sure this would help the message sink in much faster. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Erbium wrote: »
    Yo,
    I recently gave up smoking due to a click in my young brain, I now see the sheer retardedness of smoking. - Excuse the harsh term, but IMO thats what it is!
    Anyway, I've been off them for over a month and all is peachy so far. I was avoiding this thread since I do try and avoid smokes now but that is next to impossible in reality.

On with my point!
    I am curious if anyone has any good ideas on discouraging smokers from being just that & further more discourage anyone else from picking up the habit.
    I'm sure if you were to have a simple and small monitor that played several severe anti smoking ads, in smoking areas, that played for the duration the smoker is in the area. - I found some of those anti smoking ads to be very effective. A simple Example

I'm sure many would find this very irritating but non the less, anything that is anti smoking is just.

I'm sure this would help the message sink in much faster. Thoughts?

Eh I dont know if that ad is particularly effective- most people when the start smoking think oh but sure I will quit before that happens to me. Particularly young smokers. In addition people dont smoke for the reasons they should stop. The ads on cigarette packets, does anyone who smokes actually read them. There are a number of effective stop smoking avenues out there including for example Alan Carr. I think some of the money spent on advertising would be better spent on stop smoking clinics for people who want to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I think that the anti-smoking ads need to be as sophisticated as the pro smoking ads. At the moment they are too obvious and dont work for that reason.

For young people, the key motivators (IMO) are:
    a) Being cool
    b) Being attractive to the opposite sex
    c) Being adult like in behaviour...

as such I think that the key messages that need to be portrayed are:

a) Smokers are more stupid & are less likely to be successful
    (i dont have any scientific evidence for this but I certainly feel pretty stupid for smoking for 30 years of my life!!)
    b) Smokers taste horrible and its horrible to kiss one.
    c) Smoking causes lines & wrinckles and will make you look uglier early.
    d) Smokers have less money
    e) Smoking can cause impotence - its certainly not sexy.
    f) Smokers snore louder.

etc etc...

From the perspective of a teenager aged 15 , the threat of only living till 65 instead of 75 des'nt seem to bad but bad breath, wrinckles & impotence are usually not something that they aspire to! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

Very true indeed.
    Perhaps aim for subliminal anti-smoking messages around smoking areas.
    I think it would make for an interesting project someday.

I'm still off the smokes closing in on 4 months now...woop woop!

I gave up for most of the reasons you mentioned above....It took me 7 years to realize how stupid it was.. 7 freaking years :O

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Erbium wrote: »
    Perhaps aim for subliminal anti-smoking messages around smoking areas.
    I think it would make for an interesting project someday.

subliminal messages work wonders. I agree it would make for an interesting project one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I remember reading an article by Bob Rotella (golf psychologist). He advised when you're addressing the ball never to think "don't go left", "don't go right"" - think "go straight" instead. If you think "don't go left" all the brain hears is "go left" - it doesn't understand "do not".

Same principle applies here. Negative advertising does not work. If it did kids (if you're in your twenties your a kid to me :P) would not be smoking. Positive advertising is the way forward. The positives of not smoking which are a plenty.

However Oz did have some fun ones that may have made me stop and think :D

impotence2.jpg
    notrizin%27.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement