Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strike 1942 or R-Type?

• 15-12-2009 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

My love for both of these runs deep. What about u guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 brenchman

bloody love 'em. r-type is harder now am older was easier when i was younger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strikers is alright. R-type on the other hand is god like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

+1 for R-Type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Strikers is alright. R-type on the other hand is god like.

What he said!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

slapfight>gradius>R-type for me:)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Slap Fight? Really?

You don't by any chance own the Megadrive release do you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Slapfight isn't that good at all. Doesn't hold a candle to Gradius or R-type.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

:)
    honestly I prefer it , find it to be a more fun experience.
    each to their own
    And yeah the megadrive conversion was excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah Slapfight, the memories of sweat as I'd make it to third time around and get annihilated straight away, get the lasers and hang on for dear life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last time I played Slapfight was on the speccy with a rather good conversion, although I missed the arcade original completely.

The only shooter that has kept me going over the years has been Raiden and Raiden 2, I have yet to enjoy the further adventures.
    I have the brilliant Raiden collection on the PS1 and what can I say, but the little details make it brilliant, the people running on the ground, the destruction caused by crashing enemy ships, very nice indeed

• Advertisement

Raiden 2 is very good game. The levels are a little too long but other than that it's great.

Nothing beats a bit of Radiant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai on the Saturn for me :)

Master of the Universe

Raiden 2 is absoutely brilliant. It's still one of the only early JAMMA games that can't be emulated yet. (Still hasn't been decrypted)

I have The Raiden Project for the ps1 myself too. Love it.

I've been trying to get a pcb for a while but they sell for a lot of money. Plus I don't have a vertical monitor...soon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played my copy of Radiant Silvergun (and I mean "copy" literally, he he) and I found it all a bit confusing, must go to Gamefaqs and have a look at a faq on it, then try again.

If you can get it, mr original poster, R-Types on the PS is a very good collection, and R-Type Delta is also brilliant.
    Retro is against R-Type Final, for the PS2, but don't listen to him, it's great, and what does he know, he dresses up as a japanese schoolgirl for kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

How about salamander?

R-type Final is the most boring shmup I've ever played. Crap game. And the 3rd level runs at an insonsistent 5fps (I'm not exaggerating)

Salamander is awesome. I have the salamander collection on the saturn with Salamander 2 which is brilliant as well.

You should give Radiant Silvergun another bash, it really is fantastic. All you need to know is that you have 7 weapons that are useful in different situations and the sword an absorb the pink bullets a unleash a smart bomb after 10 of them. Once you learn what weapons are useful for what it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KesMonkey

Of those two, its R-Type for me. I also love Ikaruga and Raiden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    R-type Final is the most boring shmup I've ever played. Crap game. And the 3rd level runs at an insonsistent 5fps (I'm not exaggerating)

Salamander is awesome. I have the salamander collection on the saturn with Salamander 2 which is brilliant as well.

You should give Radiant Silvergun another bash, it really is fantastic. All you need to know is that you have 7 weapons that are useful in different situations and the sword an absorb the pink bullets a unleash a smart bomb after 10 of them. Once you learn what weapons are useful for what it's great.

Radiant Silvergun really is a masterpiece,of all the great shooters (the word schmup is too cringeworthy to use!)I've played over the years it's still the best.

Took me a while to be able to do it on normal on one credit and arcade settings but the weapon upgrade system is terrific and the ingenious colour co ordinated scoring system just feels right.

If you have a Jap Saturn you should check out Batsugun and DonPachi,both are very good.

For anyone else that likes vertical shooters,Mushi Futari ver 1.5 is out on 360 and is region free.The graphics have got a bit of tidying up and the xbox 360 mode looks considerably better than the arcade or ps2 versions.Still tough as hell though:pac:

Hopefully,if people buy this on import Cave's other xbox ports will be region free,Espgaluda 2 Black Label as well as Ketsui are both getting xbox ports,here's hoping they're both region free too!

Advertisement