Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Centre Disabled Parking

• 15-12-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking at this list of disabled parking spaces for Dublin City Centre. Would anyone know how up to date this list is?

I'm travelling to Dublin on Friday with my grandmother and she's not very mobile to say the least. We'll be arriving at approximately 11:30/12 noon. Are there any particular disabled spaces which always fill up early in the day and, more importantly, are there any which I would be likely to easily get a space.

The disabled spaces on Jervis Street would be the most ideal for us. Would anyone know if they're still there and if we'd be likely to get a space. And what would be the next best nearby alternatives?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it is reasonably accurate, but can't comment on individual spaces. You might try http://www.ddai.ie/ or http://www.iwa.ie/

However, note section 40, item (b) of the Dublin City Council Parking Control (Amendment) Bye-Laws 2008. With a valid disabled person’s (parking) permit (blue badge), you can park for free in any pay and display area, assuming the vehicle is otherwise legally parked.
    Waiver in respect of specific classes or categories of vehicles

40 The requirement to display a valid pay and display parking ticket or a
    valid pay and display parking tag or a resident’s parking permit or a
    visitor’s parking permit in a vehicle parked in any parking place or
    residential parking permit place to which these Bye-Laws relate shall not
    apply to the following:

(a) a vehicle being used in connection with the removal of an obstruction to
    traffic, the removal of a vehicle pursuant to section 97 of the 1961 Road
    Traffic Act as amended, the immobilisation and release of vehicles, the
    maintenance, improvement or reconstruction of a public road, the
    provision, alteration or repair of a main drain, pipe or apparatus for the
    supply of gas, oil, water or electricity or of a telephone line or the
    provision of a traffic sign,

(b) a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or a vehicle in which a valid disabled
    person’s permit is displayed and which is parked for the convenience of
    the person to whom that permit was granted if the permit is prominently
    displayed on the vehicle when that vehicle is parked in a ticket parking
    place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks Victor!

Yeah, I just saw something on DCC's website about being able to park in any pay and display spaces for free. Fair play to them :)! I wasn't even sure if the designated disabled spaces would be free, I thought we might have to pay for a disabled space..

Hopefully traffic won't be too bad at 11:30/12 noon when we arrive. We'll wait until the evening rush dies down before leaving in the evening anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I was on Jervis Street on Sunday and there were bollards (plastic cone type) blocking access to all of the parking bays on Jervis Street inc disabled bays.

To the best of my knowledge the most amount of disabled bays (on street) in any one area is in front of the main doors of the Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Square.

While you can park for free in any pay and display area, assuming the vehicle is otherwise legally parked, bear in mind the following:

Free parking for Dublin shoppers

Christmas shoppers looking for parking in Dublin City Centre can avail of 1,380 free car parking spaces from today. (19th November)

Under the scheme, on-street parking spaces will be free from 2pm every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday until December 27th.

All of the free parking spaces are located within the core retail area of Dublin City.

A full map of where the designated free parking spaces are located can be viewed on the Dublin City Council website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1119/breaking30.htm

If you decide to opt for one of the multi-storey car parks you might find this helpful:

DISABLED DRIVER PARKING SPACES

If you are travelling into the city centre, and need to park in a disabled parking space, why not phone the car park before you go. The car park manager can, in the event of a disabled space not being available, allocate another convenient space for your use - subject to availability at the time.

Then, providing there is a space available, just contact him/her when you get to the car park.

http://www.parkrite.ie/disabled.htm

The following link tells you how many disabled bays each car park has:

http://www.parkrite.ie/information.htm

Hope that helps!

Shifty wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge the most amount of disabled bays (on street) in any one area is in front of the main doors of the Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Square.

Thanks Shifty!

Is that along the Eastern side of Parrnell Square?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

KevR wrote: »
    Thanks Shifty!

Is that along the Eastern side of Parrnell Square?

As far as I know it is Parnell Square S

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1G1TSEACENIE323&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,11722618042345811537&fb=1&hq=rotunda+hospita&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin+City&gl=ie&daddr=Parnell+Square,+DUBLIN+1,+Co.+Ireland&geocode=12914675125802541155,53.353151,-6.261993&ei=Zc0nS_-qF9zajQebm4G0DQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQngIwAA

Its not the side of the garden of remembrance or the gallery side or the Ambassador Theatre/Gate Theatre. Hope you can make sense of the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

We'll be arriving at approximately 11:30/12 noon

It's also worth noting that if you're using the North Quays in Dublin the bus lane is open to all traffic from Ellis Quay at Queen street from 10am to 12 noon Monday to Saturday and all day Sunday.

Thanks for that!

So is it the place circled here that you're talking about?
    ParnellSq.jpg

Does that belong to Dublin CC or the Hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

KevR wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

So is it the place circled here that you're talking about?
    ParnellSq.jpg

Does that belong to Dublin CC or the Hospital?

Thats private parking for the Rotunda hospital KevR, I think Shifty is referring to Parnell Square West, where the hospital main entrance is, but I'm open to correction.

Was thinking it looked like private parking alright. Yeah it must be the Parnell Sq West..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The main hospital entrance is on Parnell Square West. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&cid=0,0,11722618042345811537&fb=1&hq=rotunda+hospita&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin+City&gl=ie&daddr=Parnell+Square,+DUBLIN+1,+Co.+Ireland&geocode=12914675125802541155,53.353151,-6.261993&ei=Zc0nS_-qF9zajQebm4G0DQ&ved=0CAwQngIwAA&ll=53.352477,-6.263697&spn=0.000343,0.001373&t=k&z=20

I imagine they have some wheelchair spaces there for the hospital, but suspect they may be popular.

There certainly seems to be at least three spaces on Parnell Square North. Note there is a bit of a hill on Parnell Square (south is the bottom). http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&cid=0,0,11722618042345811537&fb=1&hq=rotunda+hospita&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin+City&gl=ie&daddr=Parnell+Square,+DUBLIN+1,+Co.+Ireland&geocode=12914675125802541155,53.353151,-6.261993&ei=Zc0nS_-qF9zajQebm4G0DQ&ved=0CAwQngIwAA&t=k&ll=53.353971,-6.26471&spn=0.000343,0.000862&z=20

There is no parking at all on the south side and only normal spaces on the east side.

Of the list you linked to, all of the following are in the Jervis Street / O'Connell Street / Parnell Street / Bachelors Walk area.

DUBLIN1

BACHELORS WALK - from the west side of the indented loading bay
    CAPEL STREET - Outside No. 32
    GRANBY ROW - Parnell Square North.
    JERVIS STREET - near the junction with Mary St.
    JERVIS STREET - 3 disabled parking bays between Nos. 57/60
    PARNELL SQUARE NORTH - north side, outside Municipal Gallery
    PARNELL SQUARE NORTH - On the Western side of the existing yellow box.
    PARNELL STREET - South side, from the west side of the loading bay just west of the boundary wall of Nos.89/9
    PARNELL STREET - Outside Headway Ireland information centre
    STRAND STREET GREAT - North side, from a point across from the door of No. (2 BAYS)
    STRAND STREET GREAT - 2 disabled parking bays, north side
    WOLFE TONE STREET - East side, at its junction with Mary Street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement