Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same bleedin voices

• 15-12-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

I have noticed over quite a while on Newstalk and RTE Radio One a significant overlap of contributors, especially on sports shows. For instance, last Monday evening I heard Matt Williams doing his well polished thing on Radio One Sport at Seven. A half hour later or so there's the bould Mattie again on Off The Ball talking once more about the Irish provinces great achievements last weekend. This happens weekly with Donal Lenihan as well. Same to some extent with Gerry Thornley and outside of rugby as well. Eamonn Dunphy also comes to mind but in fairness he'll talk about anything, not just soccer.
    Now, I understand the argument that there's only a small pool of good commentators for certain things in this country but surely it's not that small. Is the onus on Newstalk to develop different voices on these and many more subjects or on Radio One?
    If I was the Head of Radio One, I'd be bloody pissed off about my contributors popping up on my competition. As the dominant player in the market surely RTE could lock them in somehow. Maybe it's not worth the hassle. What think ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

no offence but your whole post just confused me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Hows this........ same voices a lot on Newstalk and Radio One ..... especially sports contributors.... often on the same night..... Good or Bad?

Can you manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I see no problem with this.

do you mean they comment on the same sport or on different ones???

i get u now,and agree:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

do you mean they comment on the same sport or on different ones???

Same sport e.g. Matt Williams (former Leinster and Scotland coach) and Donal Lenihan on Rugby. Last Monday, Williams was on Radio One shortly after seven p.m. and then on Newstalk shortly after seven thirty p.m. giving reaction to Leinster's win.
    Donal Lenihan will pop up on newstalk mid week , again on Rugby, and he'll be co-commentator on a weekend game on Radio One.
    Not exactly the worst crime on radio but surely the net could be cast a bit wider?

Advertisement