Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years' Day Concert From Vienna

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I have grown up watching this and look forward to it every year. Upon looking at the Christmas 'RTE Guide' it says that RTE 1 or 2 is not showing it live in the a.m., nor it appears are the BBC. This has got to be a mistake surely? The only time I can find it on any listing is on BBC4 at 7p.m. New Years' Day.

Surely this cannot be true? It's the highlight of my New Years' Day. Does anyone else have anymore information.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Digiguide tell's me it's on BBC2...

MUSIC: New Year's Day Concert 2010
    On: BBC2
    Date: Friday 1st January 2010
    Time: 11:15 to 12:40

Live from the Musikverein in Vienna, the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra performs their annual celebratory concert of waltzes, polkas and marches, conducted for only the second time in his long distinguished career by Georges Pretre. To accompany some of the works by the Strauss family and other masters of popular Viennese music, there are performances by the Vienna State Opera and Volksoper Ballet. The concert is introduced by Brian Kay.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

THanks. I will stil be annoyed though if it's not on RTE. No commentary from Eamonn Lalor this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Does anyone know why RTE are not showing it this year?
    Are they going to show at a later date?
    RTE always used to show the complete concert from 10:15 am,
    whereas BBC always started from 11:15 as they are doing this year.
    I only found out this morning that it's not on RTE. I just assumed it would be shown as always.

It's not even being broadcast on the radio either, on Lyric FM or Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

I just found this on another website:
    http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=3736#post3736

Exclusive: RTE Drop New Years Day Concert
    Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:08:39 GMT posted by DMC
    Techtír Exclusive: RTE Drop New Years Day Concert

"RTE are not to televise the annual New Years Day Concert, for the first time in many years.

The concert, broadcast live and direct from Vienna before noon every New Years Day, features the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra and the music of the Strauss family and other composers.

A fixture in the Eurovision calender for many years, the concert is relayed to more than a billion people in over 50 countries. The decision will dismay a lot of classical music fans in Ireland, where the amount of concerts shown on RTE has been in steep decline over the last few years.

Coupled with it not being show live on RTE television, it is also not being simulcast on the broadcasters classical music network, Lyric FM.

Contacted by Techtir, RTE did confirm that the concert will not be broadcast this year. In it's place are repeats of Celebrity Winning Streak and a Gene Kelly movie, An American in Paris.

A Facebook group calling on RTE to reinstate the concert in the schedule has been created, and can be found
    here."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

emanresu wrote: »
    It's not even being broadcast on the radio either, on Lyric FM or Radio 1.

Lyric don't do music anymore, only the dross that Marty Whelan comes out with! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BBC2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Really enjoyed this on New Years Day, it was the first year I tuned in. A very professsional production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BillPower

It's an absolute disgrace. I've been looking forward to this for weeks and only just discovered that RTE has dropped the concert. Another example of dumbing down in our so-called national broadcaster. I am so disappointed. I don't have the BBC and can't find any other station on my Sky package that does have it. Thank you Dublincentric RTE for spoiling New Year's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you have Sky you have BBC 141 & 142

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BillPower

Thanks efb, you've saved the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Does anybody here have experience of going to it? I am looking to enter the draw for some of the family as a surprise ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

dazey wrote: »
    Does anybody here have experience of going to it? I am looking to enter the draw for some of the family as a surprise ...

I haven't been to the NYD concert (I'd be more second Viennese school), but you could check out http://www.musikverein.at/startseite.asp.

Also it's worth noting that the same programme is repeated a couple of more times around New Years without all the TV cameras, and at a much more reasonable price!

Advertisement