Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work/life experience based degrees

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

I could be in the complete wrong forum here so sorry if I am but has anyone seen these degrees that they are now "selling"? Does anyone know anything about these, I wonder are they for real or what. Is there any other employer out there that thinks if you saw this on a CV you would be very sceptical? Are we really supposed to take these seriously?
    Or is there anybody out there who has gained one of these degrees that can tell me that they are in fact the business.

Cheers :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If a degree is being "sold", it's probably not worth the paper it's been printed on.

"Life experience" degrees tend to me the product of Diploma Mills and the like.

Some academic programs will give people credit for relevant work experience, excusing them parts of the course which may cover something they already know, but no institution worth it's salt would issue an entire degree etc based on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

In all honesty I wouldn't take the chance. Most employers would not recognise a degree as being immediately false. For example students going over to Wolverhampton, Leeds or Liverpool for a year can get their degrees accredited by an English institution and the majority of Irish people would not be familiar with these Uni's and colleges however authentic or un-authentic they may be.

But for every place that it may get you there is an equal chance if your qualification is questions or researched further you can loose the position due to falsifying or questionable credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

BigDuffman wrote: »
    For example students going over to Wolverhampton, Leeds or Liverpool for a year can get their degrees accredited by an English institution and the majority of Irish people would not be familiar with these Uni's and colleges however authentic or un-authentic they may be.

What do you mean? Wolverhampton, Leeds + Liverpool are legitimate universities!

Advertisement